PDA

View Full Version : Purchasing a Computer

technogs
12-10-2002, 09:31 AM
I am thinking about purchasing a computer From Green PC and was wondering what the service is like and if there is any major problems with that I shouldn't purchase from them.

Also What is The PC Company like service price etc

Also what about Avennet Computers.

mashimaro
12-10-2002, 11:13 AM
I don't wanna start a war here by saying which place is good or bad as I'm sure there are ppl who have preference to a particular shop.

Anyway, the best system on the market is of course build yr own, and if possible, assemble it as well. Sorry to say this, but I never recommend branded PC such as Compaq, HP, Dell ...etc. The reason is that most of their cases is not generic so if something goes wrong with the PSU, Motherboard you can't just replace it with a normal one. So don't judge the PC by their cases.

Most people don't realize that most components inside a branded PC is just average stuff. They use OEM boards, their BIOS is so limited that the only thing you could probably change is the time and date. But they are expensive, and branded so they must be good. Well, I can guarantee you that with that same amount of money you can build a much much higher quality PC.

I see that you have listed 3 PC suppliers, go to all 3 of them and ask them what CPU, Motherboard, CDRW ..etc. they use in their system. Ask the HDD speed, is it 5400 or 7200? Ask about the size of the motherboard, full size or half size, have AGP slot or not..etc. Get the model of everything and check each of them on a their website and see if that's what you want.

Sorry it's a bit long

Cheers

Mike
12-10-2002, 11:23 AM
> I am thinking about purchasing a computer From Green
> PC and was wondering what the service is like and if

About 8-10 years ago some of us bought some stuff from Green PC - not much of it worked... tried to take it back and they just didn't want to know. They never got my custom ever again, nor any of my friends. I have no idea what they're like now, but I'm still not going back :)

> Also What is The PC Company like service price etc

Lets not go there :p

Mike.

Elephant
12-10-2002, 12:01 PM
I agree... I won't go THERE either!!! :-(

helvista
12-10-2002, 12:20 PM
I totally agree with mashimaro. Go generic opposed to proprietary. Considering the price of branded PCs one could use that money to have a PC company custom make your system just the way you want it. That is if building your own is out of the question. Also remember to try and get special deals like if you get this and that can I have this at a reduced price or a special price for extra amount of ram. Put it this way, it won't kill you to haggle and it may well pay off :)

I live in Auckland so I go to OEM for all my computer needs. I like those guys and gals, and the techs are awesome :)

kiwibeat
12-10-2002, 06:51 PM
Buy online of a gamer upgrading or get it built by a tech type cost is a factor but also what do want to use it for trademe has many bargains if you are in WGTN I have a few PCs for sale

Rod ger
12-10-2002, 09:39 PM
Like Helvista I also use OEM. They have good prices and great service.
I spent a lot of time online last year to evaluate and price parts to make up a system for my son.

Went along to OEM and they matched every price and even upgraded some components when they didn't have exact match(no extra). Then to top it off they said at the end, "Do you want us to put it together for you?" I asked "How much" and was told it wouldn't cost anything extra. now thats what I call good service.

I use :http://www.pricespy.co.nz/ to get the best prices.

And: http://www.tomshardware.com/ to check out components.