PDA

View Full Version : Accessibility Options.Toshiba Laptop.Serial Devices

B....
11-10-2002, 10:03 PM
I use a Toshiba laptop(W98) for diagnosing faults, and setting up the various types of equipment that I work on.
I plug the correct interface box into the serial port, and the equipment's data port, and then open the appropriate program.
Some of the programs require, "Enable Serial Input Devices" (found in "General" of "Accessibility Options") to be checked and others need it unchecked. When I get it wrong the laptop usually locks up.

Is there some way I can get each program to automatically change this setting to suit, before opening;
or to flash up a warning if the setting is wrong before opening?

Each program is opened from an icon on the Desktop.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,
Thanks,
B....

godfather
12-10-2002, 12:01 AM
I guess these programs are specially written for their task, and to have them perform the function after booting would need a "call" to external code, which would mean rebuilding the program. That seems a very remote and expensive possibility.

A good programmer could use a routine to enable the serial devices I guess, but you would need to find someone that was (a) competent and (b) affordable.

Susan B
12-10-2002, 12:14 PM
>>> A good programmer could use a routine to enable the serial devices I guess, but you would need to find someone that was (a) competent and (b) affordable.

Graham Lees is a programmer, but don't know if that sort of thing is his forte. Wouldn't hurt to ask him if you wanted someone. :D

Graham L
12-10-2002, 03:40 PM
Susan is taking my vanity in name again ...

Are these settings the BIOS ones, or in Windows?

My ancient Tandy laptop has the option of serial ports enable/disabled in the BIOS ... and since I tend not to use a mouse I leave them turned off. To avoid error messages from a mouse driver with no port to find, I have a little programme which is run at boot time, and sets the ERRORLEVEL, which determines whether to load the driver. This is a simple Turbo Pascal programme which reads the port addresses starting at 0:$040 in the DOS data area. (The bytes are zero if there is no port according to the CMOS settings; otherwise the addresses).

Pascal makes this sort of thing easy with the Mem[] and Port[] predefined arrays. I don't know if writing to the locations would fool the system --- depends where Windows gets its infromation from ... but W98 is still DOS based :D.

You could probably write directly to the CMOS memory (the CMOS address is writen to port address $70, and the data is written to $71 ), but you would want to write the DOS data area too ...

You can do anything with software :D :D :D :D But a hammer is easier.

B....
14-10-2002, 08:34 PM
Looks like I will put this back in the "Too Hard Basket".

Thanks for the replies,
B