PDA

View Full Version : Win modems & Sky decoders

airdale
11-10-2002, 09:42 PM
Has anyone else experienced difficulties getting some brands of internal Win modem to dial out with a Sky decoder connected to the same telephone line?
On several occasions now I have found that some brands of modem will not dial out when connected to the same PSTN line as the Sky decoder. As soon as the decoder is unplugged from the PSTN the problem ceases. I have now come across this a number of times and have usually got around it by changing the modem.
More recently I have had some dialogue with the good folks at Sky who have been their usual (un)helpful selves and say stuff like you cannot have a modem and decoder on the same line or you need to have a dedicated line for the decoder. Needless to say none of this advice is much help to anyone.
Any comments from other techs who have found this problem?

tweak\'e
11-10-2002, 09:51 PM
known fault with the sky decoders. not all do it. depends on line conditions and how noisy the sky decoder is. also one brand/model used to always listen on the line but ithought they had that fixed.

godfather
11-10-2002, 11:01 PM
If you dont use the "pay" option on Sky, unplug it.

Mine is never plugged in, they only rang once for me to do so when setting up the pay per view option. Never since.

You do not need it plugged in for the decoder to work.