PDA

View Full Version : want to get into freelance web design/programming, tips anyone??

wumania
11-10-2002, 10:40 AM
Hello all, I have recently completed an IT diploma in web design and programming. I find it hard to get positive response or get foot in the door :( I figured it would be nice to start building my portofilio and do some freelance work. Has anyone been through the similar situation?? I am also keen to make some contacts here. I have completed a site at www.wumania.co.nz . Feel free to give me some feedback :) ta!!
Bill

tweak\'e
11-10-2002, 11:07 AM
nice site but no products. guess i won't be buying any ;-)

wumania
11-10-2002, 11:14 AM
Glad you pointed that out, I have fixed that. It's fully working. My web host has problem with ASP generated dropdown box. Now it's fixed.. I will change the webhost soon. :p

PS. Buy it at your risk, it's not opened for business yet !! :)

tweak\'e
11-10-2002, 11:26 AM
65: </tr>
66: <tr>
67: <td bgcolor="#ff0000" height="1">
68: ./images/spacer.gif</td>
69: </tr>
70: </tr>
71: </table>

one to many </tr>

CATEGORY (category.asp) |</a> PRODUCTS (products.asp) | F.A.Q.s (faqs.asp)

one to any </a> ???

got to love validation service :x

Graham Petrie
11-10-2002, 11:27 AM
OK, you can set up your own web design business, or you can freelance, or you can do both.

With either option the first thing you need are skills and lots of examples of your work. One site does not give any indication to your range of skills, or your flexibilty or imagination.

Now I assume from your post that you have such skills and are working on a portfolio.

The next step is to come up with a business plan (look in the library or online for details). This is the most improtant step as you what know where you are going without it, and will not stay focussed nor acheive the goals you want (thats if you even know what they are without a business plan).

You then need to get out and market yourself to e\webdesign compnies and to the public. Phone them, advertise in the paper, etc. If people don't know you exist, how can they hire you?

Then you have to be easily accessable, and provide prompt service.

Once you have the contartc, and all is done do not forget to send the accounts ut on time. No accounts no money.

{How to run a Small Business 101 in 500 words or less.}

G P

sal
11-10-2002, 11:43 AM
hey wumania, i have a question
how did you like the course you took for web design, and did you come out with heaps more knowledge, etc (where did you do it?)
im thinking of doing something along those lines, and going full on in that area, i havent had any formal training towrds this line of 'work', but think i would really enjoy it as a career.
i have made a few sites, and am atm learning php and mysql from home, and feel that i could really do good, aye (as humble as that sounds :D)
so yeah, how do you feel about that stuff?, and is the diploma you got any good?

grtz sal.
tga

Susan B
11-10-2002, 12:02 PM
Yummy site. But what are "Ingridents"?

Damn, you've made me hungry now...
goes off to look in fridge for lunch

Chilling_Silence
11-10-2002, 03:37 PM
Hey, you dont happen to have some noodles called Jin Ramen I think, Hot as things, gotta love them though. I had a korean neighbour who used to have them, now the only place I can find is a 45 minute drive away?!

Nice design/Layout
Graphics are nice, easy read too...
It loads pretty fast also, which is a good plus!
Otherwise, I think pretty much everybody else has said its a good site... :-D

Cheers

wumania
11-10-2002, 10:05 PM
Thanks tweak'e for the debugging. I must say I cut and pasted most of template code. I used notepade thus there was not much I could do with error-checking. I will go change the errors as you mentioned. You sounded very much like my programming tutor :p

wumania
11-10-2002, 10:11 PM
Thank you Graham, your advice is very helpful. Yes, I need to start writing my goals and visions as a form of business plan. Also I will need to learn a bit more about writing contracts and building up my portfolio/contacts. Looks like being a self-employed person is not an easy path, but I bet the result will be rewarding.

tweak\'e
11-10-2002, 10:21 PM
>Thanks tweak'e for the debugging. I must say I cut and pasted most of template code

i'm no expert beleive me. i also was wondering what course you did as i might do it myself.

that "debugging" is a little bit from http://validator.w3.org/check# which is a handy way to check pages. opera (and mozilla) have it built in. simple one click to check how many mistakes i made....argggh <off the fix my web page>

wumania
11-10-2002, 10:22 PM
hiya sal, thanks for responding. I found the web design course was very useful. Certainly I would never have learned so much in 10 months time. We covered HTML, JavaScript/DHTML and ASP/ADO. Also computer hardware, networking, IIS, Windows NT/2000 and some Linux. The course I did was a diploma course called Internet Technology at NatColl. I am unsure what kind of training institute you have near you, but from what I have seen (from your website) and I can conclude that you have learned heaps by yourself, and certainly you are able to learn or pick up from home. So you may not need to attend a course like what I did. Save yourself few grands and get some more IT books, that is, if you can motivate yourself to read them all !! :p

For me, I learned best by attending classes. Your learning style could be different, so you know what's best for you.

Bill

wumania
11-10-2002, 10:25 PM
Ingredients damn silly typo... :p

wumania
11-10-2002, 10:35 PM
Hey C_S, I know the type of noodle you liked !! It's hot but you get used to it. Where do you live mate?? You should move to Auckland, here we have plenty of Korean shops. You will be amazed by the variety of noodles they have.

Thanks for your kind comments. I appreciated it very much.

Bill

JohnDoe
11-10-2002, 11:13 PM
Been there done that. I tell you what you up against:

1- Bored bosses who make their company website out of word templates
2- Script kiddies who know how to use a PHP wizard
3- Old fuddies who use nothing but notepad and don't use graphics.
4- Peoples who use online wizards to make ahomepage about their pets
5- 376 other web site design company (at last count)

My advice: don't make you rely on it for full time income untill you have a good solid customer base. In the meantime, McDonalds are hiring...

Graham Petrie
12-10-2002, 02:01 PM
Oh, the other thing - try to get clients not customers. What is the difference? A client is a customer who keeps coming back!

Categorise your customers into four groups:

A - Always understanding, clear in what they want, payon time and are likely to have other A clients as firiends.

B - Pretty good, will pay at the latest possile, but always pay - a bit annoying to deal with at times.

C - Pain in the arse - never pay on time, have to chase them down, and its always your fault in their minds.

D - never pay full stop.

Tell all your C and D customers not to come back - or get cash in advance.

Write to all your B's and try to soften them into A's.

Write to all your A's and butter them up.

Then, your A's and B's will give glowing referrals to all their friends, nad the good thing is is that A's are usually friends with other A's, B's with B's etc.

So, you build up a solid customer base pf A's and B's, and you can then live off the referrals. A normal professional business starts out with 90+% of their customers responding due to advertising, and the rest from referrals.

Once you have been opreating a year or so, and supposing you have done a good jobn and looked after your A's and B's - advertising will account for just 20% of your clients and referrals will account for the rest.

GBP (Good Business Practice).

Starting a business is rewarding, but hard work and don't expect to start making any money for at least the first six months to a year.

Also remember, that most businesses in NZ fail within the first two years - usually because they don't have, or don't follow their business plan.

G P

phillip pond
12-10-2002, 02:36 PM
cool site!!! haha look at mine (http://www.geocities.com/cs_clanswat)...................................any way im chinese tooo, hahahaha.
how did u get people to pay to put there ads on your site??

wumania
12-10-2002, 03:04 PM
Thanks for the valuable tips. I am sure alot of us reading the post can benefit one way or the other. Keep up the good work !! Ta heaps ~~~ :D