PDA

View Full Version : Ive got the second hard drive installation blues!

hayds
10-10-2002, 05:17 PM
hi guys,

well, I have a 15 gig HD with all the windows 98 files and stuff and am trying to add a 20 gig hd.
Everything is plugged in and ready to go, jumpers correct, IDE cables and everything all sweet. (got 15 as master)
Bios picks it up sweet as and everything. No probs there.
Log into windows, no second HD, Ok , thats cool. went to a few websites and stuff, told me to make a win98 startup disk, which I did. Loaded comp up in dos. Went into Fdisk and selected 20 gig (option 5) made sure it was the one under option 4. I selected a primary partition??? (dunno what that means) and proceeded to format my 20 gig HD (D drive). I run windows just know and my 20 gig HD has turned into a 2 gig HD. I know for a fact that it is a 20 gig HD as I will be extremely pissed off if I was charged the earth for a 2 gig HD ( it says on the pack any ways.)

so can any body help me, all the other sites I have tried suck bad, and I have been helped by you guys before.

Cheers
hayds

NathanTheKind
10-10-2002, 05:29 PM
When you started up Fdisk did you say yes, to enable large disk support. if you didn't then you will need to go back into Fdisk, say yes and then proceed to remove the partition, restart, go into fdisk again, say yes, and then partition again. this should work, if you said yes the first time, did you change anything when you went to partition it.

Don't forget to format the new partition once you leave Fdisk and restart

Cheers

:)

tweak\'e
10-10-2002, 05:37 PM
ok tweak'es way of doing it.

set jumber of new drive to master. take ide and power cables out of main drive and put into new drive.

boot useing boot disk (make sure it has fdisk.exe and format.exe on it)
run fdisk delete all partitions. go and follow what you did before BUT when it asks for "large drive support"(correct me if i'm wrong please) select Y. (has been a while since i last used fdisk)

when you have finished shut down pc, change jumbers back and reconnect main drive. (the reason for dissconnecting main drive is so you don't accidently wipe out your main drive)

hayds
10-10-2002, 05:48 PM
Ok,
I did click yes for the large disk support, then I did what this print out told me and selected number 2, the 20, then i got a bit stuck, I didnt know if I should make a priamry dos thing or a logical estended partition. this is pretty ful on stuff. When I did either it asked me if how much an extended partition was and it was like 2024 gigs or something. I dunno.

WHich one do I do, I want the 15 as master, the 20 as slave and I want to be able to use the whole shibang?

NathanTheKind
10-10-2002, 06:58 PM
You want to make the partition a primary Dos partition.

Instead of specifying a size anywhere, just type in 100%, this will partition all of the avalible space, and will reduce the posiblity of a incorrect size inputted

Cheers

:)