PDA

View Full Version : Linux...where do i start...i am new to this

Timmy
10-10-2002, 04:08 PM
Hey ppl... i have just purchased Linux Mandrake 8.2..... i got it in a 3 cd set.... i would like to use this OS on my computer in conjunction to what i have already got.. .... i am booting up to menu of windows 98 and windows xp... now is it possible to incourporate linux in the boot-up menu so that i can have this on my computer as well as 98 and xp?
And what cd does what as well!
Any help would be much appreciated .... cheers
Tim :-)

Graham L
10-10-2002, 05:09 PM
First put in the first CD, and browse it from Windows. There will be a number of files which tell you what to do for a straightforward installation. You will need to know more than what that tells you. ;-)

The problem is that you have two operating systems already. Have you got a spare partition? If not, you have to make one --- anything from 1.6GB up will do. (Mandrake will tell you how much you need). Repartitioning a disk can be fatal to data. :_| Do not format the new partition --- leave it unassigned --- and the Linux installer will find it and partition it for you.

There's a bit of reading online in my FAQ here. Before you think of having a multiboot system involving XP, have a read of this: http://www.poopoccurs.com/linux/dualboot.htm, which is a very good description of what is involved.

Seriously consider having a boot floppy for the Linux. It is not too slow. And it's the safest way to have a multibooting system.

mikebartnz
11-10-2002, 12:34 AM
I used to multi boot 95/Win200 and Red Hat 7.3 and the trick is to install Linux last which you will be doing. As mentioned you will need to have a partition free.
I don't know with Mandrake but if you get the choice of using Lilo or Grub as the boot loader go with Lilo as you can uninstall it, there by restoring your Windows boot loader which can save a lot of hassels.

Graham L
11-10-2002, 04:22 PM
It's XP which is the problem. It is totally different in its behaviour , and the Linux loader has to cooperate more with it. It's possible, but does need a lot of care. You can't just let Linux install LILO in the boot sector -- or rather, you can, but you can't select XP with it. ;-)

Graeme
11-10-2002, 07:49 PM
Why do you say you can't install LILO in the boot sector - it works fine for me with Mandrake 8.2 and now 9.0 and mulitbooting XP.

Graeme

Graeme
11-10-2002, 07:49 PM
Why do you say you can't install LILO in the boot sector - it works fine for me with Mandrake 8.2 and now 9.0 and mulitbooting XP.

Graeme

Graeme
11-10-2002, 07:52 PM
oops - pressf1 gave me an error report when I posted the msg so I thought it didn't get posted the first time.

mikebartnz
12-10-2002, 11:22 AM
Lilo gives you the boot choice of Windows or Linux and then the XP loader gives you the choice of 98 or XP

Timmy
12-10-2002, 09:49 PM
Hey thank you for all of your suggestions! :-)

What do you think of booting of cd? Does that work alright?
I would like to give that a try.. if poss..

and i have heard that on linux the internet is faster than on windows?
Is that correct as well!

Sweet as
:-) Cheers Tim