PDA

View Full Version : Some of my homepage images appear in Explorer but not Netscape

oggy
09-10-2002, 10:59 PM
Just set up my first homepage (advertising my house for sale) using Netscape Composer. I've used some .jpg images, all of which show in Explorer but only a few appear when viewed in Netscape. The icon where the image is supposed to be indicates the format is not supported by the browser. Any ideas? The site is at http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/oakdenz/ if you want a look...but don't expect anything spectacular.

godfather
09-10-2002, 11:11 PM
Dont know much about HTML at all, but one suggestion - does Netscape not like the spaces in the image names?

IE seems to cope, and some of the images (i.e. golf.jpg) are conventional, does this narrow it down?

godfather
09-10-2002, 11:12 PM
By the way, its VERY effective. Congratulations on a good clean informative page.

Babe Ruth
09-10-2002, 11:15 PM
Sorry... what's the problem? used Mozilla 1.1 (effectively netscape 7) and saw 11 images of your house and twizel etc. How many images were there supposed to be?

Cheers, Babe.

tweak\'e
09-10-2002, 11:24 PM
looks really good but the validator service http://validator.w3.org throws a wobbly at <!doctype html public "-//w3c//dtd html 4.0 transitional//en">

also no title ;-)

i'm only a html beginner but do you really need all the center tags?

-=JM=-
09-10-2002, 11:33 PM
hmmm well it's working for me in Phoenix 0.1, Opera 6.05, Mozilla 1.1 and IE6SP1.

But as a rule don't have spaces in the names of your images.

The counter doesn't want to display in Opera and doesn't seem to want to tick over in the other browsers.

Very nice layout though. A top effort. But put a page title on.

oggy
09-10-2002, 11:43 PM
Thanks for the comments. I'll have a look at the gaps thing tomorrow night. And yes there were 11 images so I'm pleased Mozilla picked them up.
Part of my problem is that I don't know html yet. I found a manual online but at 328 pages it was a bit daunting for something I wanted to do quickly so I used Composer...the Netscape equivalent of Microsoft's FrontPage. Yeah I'm a wimpy techno-cheat but I promise to learn html in due course.
Cheers

-=JM=-
09-10-2002, 11:52 PM
Composer is very good actually. I use it quite a lot (I'm lazy). It produces nice code as well.

oggy
09-10-2002, 11:53 PM
Thanks for all the checking.
I noticed the counter...wasn't. It was working for a while then went back to zero and stopped when I updated the page tonight so I'm sure I can fix that again. (It was the only piece of html code that I actually wrote myself)
I will look at those gaps in the file names and see if that makes a difference
And as you're the second person to mention it...is a page title an html thing that's not seen on the viewed page or is it just errr... a title that shws at the top of the page? (Told you I'm just a beginner)
Thanks for the help.

Danger
09-10-2002, 11:54 PM
A bit OT but I have fond memorys off my time in Twizel a few years back during the LOTR shoot. We stayed in houses just like the one you have for sale, in fact other than the outside, the inside looks almost identical. I loved the quiet streets and running through the golf course and the trails around the outskirts of town, and the pub rocked, while we were there anyway. Thanks for the memorys:)

sal
10-10-2002, 01:25 AM
>>I noticed the counter...wasn't. It was working for a while then went back to zero and stopped when I updated the page tonight so I'm sure I can fix that again. (It was the only piece of html code that I actually wrote myself)>>

isnt it perl?, not html ;)

>>And as you're the second person to mention it...is a page title an html thing that's not seen on the viewed page or is it just errr... a title that shws at the top of the page?>>

yep, just a nice title for the top of the browser

sorry thats all i could help you with, atm i only have ie6 (i really should have several browsers, but im kinda lazy, in a way that i dont cater for browsers other than ie...make that VERY lazy ?:|)

grtz sal.
tga

sal
10-10-2002, 01:30 AM
instead of:

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">

it should be:

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">

grtz sal.
tga

oggy
10-10-2002, 07:44 AM
OK. Changed the html info bit and threw in a title (I'm learning stuff...it's great!). Tonight I'll rename those jpgs so there are no gaps and see what happens. Now I'm off to work. Cheers guys