PDA

View Full Version : Win XP

chippie
09-10-2002, 09:33 PM
Relatively speaking this system has been awesome. However I had to do my fourth re-install as something went radically wrong.

Once the computer goes down I try all the obvious things like "Last good known config, Safe mode", etc. etc. The recovery console seems like a good idea however nothing in there helps.

With Win 98 you could run a re-install and you wouldn't have to reinstall all your app's etc.

It obviously has something to do with security [NTFS] otherwise there would be heaps of programs that allowed you to back up and restore the registry [which I think is going wrong]. I ghost my server however these files are hooge. Is there another utility or process whereby I can do this without having to reinstall every time?
What does everyone else do?

Chippie

BIFF
09-10-2002, 09:57 PM
Why don't you find out what is going 'radically wrong' and stop it happening?
If you use the XP Backup program (needs to be installed from XP CD if using home edition) to backup the Windows folder and System State to a File or tape, you can restore after the Reinstall. Ensure you reinstall XP without formatting the disk or else you'll lose your files and the restore wont work. You'll need to re-activate Windows each time you have to restore.

Babe Ruth
09-10-2002, 10:05 PM
If you backup (copy) the following file %SYSTEMROOT%\System32\WPA.DBL (note %SYSTEMROOT% is a system variable which points to drive:\Windows_directory e.g. C:\Windows) to a safe place e.g. floppy disk then you can copy it back to the same directory after reinstall and NO reactivation will be necessary - as long as you don't change the hardware in any radical way (e.g. network card).

Babe.

chippie
10-10-2002, 10:05 AM
Thanks Biff. To stop dabbling with the registry and like is similar to telling someone they shouldn't eat chocolate !
Thanks for the backup advice although I don't yet know if you mean the system restore option, moving all my settings to another machine or just a backup. I'll try and work it out!

chippie
10-10-2002, 10:07 AM
Fooking brilliant Babe. I'll give that a squirt if it goes down again.

chippie
10-10-2002, 10:14 AM
Babe I just want to make sure I have this right...I reinstall WinXP when it goes down. This creates a new Windows location and a new user. After it boots I then make the changes you suggest - pointing the system to the original Windows location and whammo all the apps and everything are back to normal?

Babe Ruth
10-10-2002, 10:44 AM
Chippie, No. the WPA file is the 'registration/activation' database file only. All that happens is you dont have to reactivate your WinXP software. If you are reinstalling WinXP and your applications you still have to do everything else. As an example I replaced a number of components on my WinXP system: motherboard, cpu, ram, 2 of the 4 harddrives BUT I did not reactivate windows I copied my WPA file back from a backup copy.

Babe.

chippie
10-10-2002, 12:09 PM
Ok got it. Good tip anyway. Ta