PDA

View Full Version : Moving Folders from one NT server to another.

alanpt
08-10-2002, 11:42 PM
The school I work at, has three NT servers setup, with different user profiles and user folders in them. I want to combine them to the fastest server. But when I move a folder it loses its permissions and sharing name, which is not good. I also would need to change the users home directory.

I could do this by hand but there are 2000 students. Does anybody have any ideas on software or scripts, to make the job easy.

I plan to update the server to Windows 2000, does it have a tool to transfer users and folders?

Please help....

Merlin
09-10-2002, 12:55 AM
Combining users to one machine - depends on what users logon to. Local BDC or to the PDC? Where are the profiles stored and how is it done? By profile path? By subdomain?

Moving folders and losing permissions and share name - design feature of NT 4.0 and 2000. No workaround.

Changing users home directory. How is it mapped? Script or path? Change the script or relocate and share the directory using the same name.

"I plan to update the server to Windows 2000, does it have a tool to transfer users and folders?"
Yes - it is called planning and carefully implementation. MS has a good section here (http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/planning/server/deploy.asp) - technical but good since migration is not a 5 minute task.

If in doubt - employ someone with credentials and experience.

BIFF
09-10-2002, 02:25 PM
You will not be able to retain the share information, but you can keep the File Permissions by using either the Scopy util or the Robocopy Util both available in the NT Resource Kit; -an essential item if you have an NT server.
If the share names are the same as the folder names the old Winfile app (run winfile from Run box) will enable you to re-create the shares with only two clicks per share. The share permissions will still be slow to do however if you use them in addition to File permissions.

alanpt
09-10-2002, 08:53 PM
Thanks heaps.

The last people for some strange reason thought they would just spread out the user folders through three servers. Now one of the servers is dying.