PDA

View Full Version : error message

rover1nz
08-10-2002, 01:02 PM
I have just bought a game called "Mahjongg Classic Chinese Style" by Expert Software, but when I try to install it I get an error message saying..........
-----------------------
ERROR
Directx 5 Requires Windows 95
------------------------
Therefore I can't install it.
My computer is 1 month old, 1.7ghz, 256 mb, running windows xp

Any help would be appreciated
Thanks in advance

honeylaser
08-10-2002, 01:28 PM
It looks like the game was made for Windows 95 (http://www.hackerhut.net/images/BJ3_REQ.jpg) "or higher", but since its an oldish game it may not work on XP. Perhaps try installing DirectX 8 or 8.1 seperately then try installing?

Mike
08-10-2002, 01:37 PM
Karyn,

Are you given an option during the install to not install DirectX? If so, then take that option, as you'll already have DirectX8.1 installed with Windows XP. If you're able to do this, then your game should run fine.

HTH

Mike.

gerardkean
08-10-2002, 02:12 PM
Here's a fix I got from lucas arts (unofficial, as the techs cannot officially say a games runs under a different windoze version)

find ddhelp.exe and copy it to \system32\ on your C drive. It worked on Lucas Arts games that I tried.

rover1nz
08-10-2002, 02:38 PM
Thanks for those suggestions but none have worked. From what I can see I already have Directx 8 installed and downloading ddhelp.exe didn't help either, although I did get another error message saying........ " Can't run 16bit windows program" Maybe this is the problem???
Should I try downloading directx5 maybe?

Thanks

godfather
08-10-2002, 02:50 PM
XP is NOT happy with old 16 bit applications unfortunately.

Put a shortcut to the game on your desktop, right click it and choose properties. Select the Compatability tab, and tick the box for Windows 95.

It may not work, but you never know.

If it does not work, sorry but there may be no way to run such an old version on a new computer.

Chilling_Silence
08-10-2002, 02:54 PM
Becuase its XP, Can't you run it in "Compatibility Mode for 95" or something similar in the properties???

rover1nz
09-10-2002, 02:05 PM
I did think of running it in win95 compatibility mode but to do that you need to have the thing installed to get to the icon. I can't get past the setup process to install it. I even tried taking the exe file off the cd manually and changing to win95, but that didn't help either.
BTW The game has a 1999 copywrite date on it So it can't be that old.
Thanks anyway

Chilling_Silence
09-10-2002, 02:35 PM
I got a similar message when I bought Jedi Knight : Dark Forces II (Its the original one, about 5 years old) and It wants me to install direct X 5 too. Have you got XP SP1 installed, coz it only worked on my 2K machine (The principal is what Im going by) when I'd installed the service pack. It then realised that DirectX 8.1 is a whole lot greater than 5.0! Have you tried setting up DX8.1 again? Does XP let you do this coz AFAIK, it comes with 8.1!

Hope you find something useful out of all this

Cheers

Chilling_Silence