PDA

View Full Version : my internet dials up & connects everytime I startup or shut down

Rach
08-10-2002, 10:16 AM
Once connected on startup it stays online. I have virus scanned and cannot find anything. what is causing this and how do I stop it?

Jim B
08-10-2002, 11:57 AM
More details please,eg what operating system.

leftsidemafia
08-10-2002, 12:17 PM
Sounds to me if you have allways my default connection checked, and a program such as msn, aim yahoo or worse spyway is looking for a connection on startup which when checked it will dial your isp. To fix this issue go to internet explorer, then to tools, then to internet options then to connections, then switch the allways dial my default connection to never dial a connection. It shouldnt matter much which os you have as long is its Micro$oft scince the settings are in internet explorer. Also check in Outlook express under tools, options send and recieve and make sure if my computer is not connected at this time Do not connect is selected as well. That should fix this issue. If not reply to the post and i will help more

honeylaser
08-10-2002, 12:19 PM
I found this Microsoft page here (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;q175312&FR=0) which reckons that some Trojan Horse's (viruses) which cause your modem to dial on startup aren't necessarily detected by AV software.

Check your startup folder (on Windows) Start-- Programs-- Startup and check if there are any webpages in there set to update automatically.

Check that your mail programs or browsers aren't set to connect to the internet automatically when launched.

Jim B
08-10-2002, 12:30 PM
If never dial a connection is selected in Internet Options then they will not be able to dialin and connect unless they know how to bring up the dialer with a shortcut which they may not have created.
It will no doubt stop the problem but they will then be getting page can't be displayed in IE when trying to get web sites.
Many people rely on opening applications to bring up the dialer as they are not aware of any other way to connect.

Can you confirm if it is XP you are using or another operating system.

Rach
08-10-2002, 01:14 PM
Hi, operating system is Windows 98 - running office 2000 if that helps