PDA

View Full Version : on or off?

Mandy Fisher
07-10-2002, 10:49 PM
Hi guys,

Like you know I am a computer novice, but I just want your opinion.

I have been turning my computer off when I am not using it (about 4 times a day) but have been told it is better to leave it on standby. (then shutdown at nite) what do you advise???

godfather
07-10-2002, 10:54 PM
If you experience no problems, I would leave it on standby.

It would pay to close all open programs though, as many cause strange effects that seem to be attributable to programs being placed in standby.

Occasionally I find the PC runs slowly after recovering from standby, so I just restart. XP seems much better than earlier operating systems at resuming, I must admit.

Oh look - 2,000 posts. Great, I can retire!

Billy T
07-10-2002, 11:25 PM
Hi God

May I be the first to congratulate you. :)

Actually, to be precise, I think you need 2002. ]:)

Cheers

Billy :D :D :D hhh () () () () ()

mikebartnz
07-10-2002, 11:46 PM
I have always turned my PC off when I have not been using it and have never had a problem. Some say that the heating and cooling stresses the parts but I think the power savings and the lesser wear and tear make it worth while. One poster said that he sometimes finds the PC running slowly after comming out of standby and has to reboot, you might as well turn it off.

E.ric
08-10-2002, 02:54 AM
If the operating system is windows I would say turn it off, The boss leaves the computer on all the time, and it seems every or second day there is a problem that can be cured by resetting the computer, it cheeses me off when you are trying to get work done, Someone told me if you left windows go and did nothing to the computer the system would corrupt itself, I often turn my computer on and off each day and do not have much problem.

Sorry I did not fully answer you question.

Mike
08-10-2002, 09:00 AM
Mandy,

What windows version are you using? Going into standby should work fine, or if you're going to be away for a bit longer then hibernate (if your system is capable of that).

I hibernate it overnight, and use standby during the day - I very rarely actually turn it off (okay, hibernate turns it off, but it doesn't perform the whole reloading of windows when you turn it back on). Windows XP very rarely actually needs restarting, so you could just leave it on all the time, but it depends on how much you use it, and how much power you want to use up when you're not using it :)

Mike.

roofus
08-10-2002, 12:42 PM
Once again a lot of people discussing how wicked their computer is set up, or trying to increase their number of posts, but still failing to fully answer the question.

Hi, Mandy
There are pros and cons to leaving it on, or leaving it off. Basically (as suggested) turning the computer on and off all the time puts stress on the computer components as they are expanding and cooling constantly causing dry joints.
By leaving your computer on, you avoid this problem, however windows is prone to slowing down during the day.
By having your computer enabled for standby you are reducing the electrical consumption, but keeping enough running through the computer so that it doesn't cool down too much.

Ofcourse the wear and tear placed on your components can take many years to occur, dry joints occur in TV's usually in excess of 10years, and is probably the same for your computer, but then you have to ask yourself the question "Will i still be using these components in 10 years?" Not likely is it, so there isn't a lot of difference from leaving on, or turning off, bar a bit of waiting time for it to boot up.

tweak\'e
08-10-2002, 01:08 PM
the other thing you might want to consider is what happens to the pc if its left on and there is a power cut?

also the life of componants is meaured in operating hours. personally if i'm not around or useing the pc for something i shut it off. less dust gets sucked into it and less of a power bill ;-)

Baldy
08-10-2002, 03:57 PM
I was told to always leave the computer on, but switch the monitor off.

So that is what I have always done. I was told that it would always run sweeter if the internals were always kept warm. Evidently, its the monitor that consumes the power.

BALDY:-)

Chilling_Silence
08-10-2002, 04:01 PM
Everything has its pro's and cons.
If you dont want anybody accesssing it, Shut it down or Hibernate it.
Hibernate is easy coz there's no saving your work, so rahter than close Word at the end of the night having to finish the doco, Hibernate and it'll resume right where you left off.

Personally, I use Standby on the laptop, and on the desktop, just lock it using the screen saver and turn off the monitor after a few mins (Automatic)

Cheers

Chilling_Silence

Susan B
08-10-2002, 04:58 PM
>>> Once again a lot of people discussing how wicked their computer is set up, or trying to increase their number of posts, but still failing to fully answer the question.

That was totally unnecessary and shows that you have a huge bee in your little bonnet for posts that do not strictly ask or answer questions. If you don't like it, don't come here, otherwise get used to it because it is not going to change.

Mandy, no one has asked you how long you go between computer use. If I'm only going to be away half an hour or maybe an hour I leave the PC on with either the screensaver running or the monitor off. Got to be careful to remember that it's still running though, otherwise it's easy to switch it off when you thought you were switching it on. I put a sticker over the switch to warn people.

Often I'll leave it online as well, downloading music and/or to catch emails from Press F1 replies. :D

When a friend of mine first got her computer she would shut the whole thing down and turn it off before coming downstairs to answer the door and let me in the house, then go back upstairs again with me and turn it back on!! No exaggerating and no way would she listen to reason that that was a rather stupid thing to do.

-=JM=-
08-10-2002, 08:32 PM
>>>Hibernate is easy coz there's no saving your work, so rahter than close Word at the end of the night having to finish the doco, Hibernate and it'll resume right where you left off.

:OYou should learn some better saving habits. I save after just about every second sentence.

I tend to leave my computer on as long as I'm at home. I very rarely shut it down when I'm at home. I've got XP now but I'm still in the 98 habit of shutting down as opposed to hibernating.

I don't see the point in putting it on standy-by. It just sits their like it would but the HDD is not powered ?:)

The 98 box downstairs stays on most of the time. It's not in anyones bedroom ;)

If your OS is 9x you really should shut down once in a while. Where as with NT you don't really need to. Once I've got a permanent internet connection I can't really see me shutting down this computer all that often.

Baldy
08-10-2002, 08:41 PM
> >>>Hibernate is easy coz there's no saving your work,
> so rahter than close Word at the end of the night
> having to finish the doco, Hibernate and it'll resume
> right where you left off.
>
> :OYou should learn some better saving habits. I save
> after just about every second sentence.

Hear Hear -=JM=-

Maybe he dosen't have anything worth saving. Even my 9year old Son saves more often than he writes anything LOL

BALDY:-)

Mandy Fisher
08-10-2002, 09:50 PM
Thanks everyone for your helpful advice, you guys are awesome!
mandy

Danger
09-10-2002, 12:05 AM
What about my friend who always switches his PC off at the wall? Could that be why his battery is stuffed?

exLL
09-10-2002, 12:33 AM
I switch off and unplug from the wall socket each night.

So far my battery has lasted 3 and 1/4 years and still measures 3volts.

As a precaution I am replacing it early anyway as it only costs $3.

They are expected to last about 3 to 5 years, so in my case I don't think that turning off each night has affected its life.

Cheers.

exLL

mashimaro
09-10-2002, 02:37 PM
Since most ppl here already answered most of the pros and cons about ON or Off .. so I won't go any further in that field. But would like to give a kind reminder for those ppl who leaves their machine on 24/7 like myself should invest on an UPS (uninterruptable power supply) to protect against power surges, fluctuation.

Cheers

Chilling_Silence
09-10-2002, 03:08 PM
> > >>>Hibernate is easy coz there's no saving your
> work,
> > so rahter than close Word at the end of the night
> > having to finish the doco, Hibernate and it'll
> resume
> > right where you left off.
> >
> > :OYou should learn some better saving habits. I
> save
> > after just about every second sentence.
>
> Hear Hear -=JM=-
>
> Maybe he dosen't have anything worth saving. Even my
> 9year old Son saves more often than he writes
> anything LOL
>
> BALDY:-)

Baldy:
Thanks

-=JM=-:
Yeah, I save it often (Its also set to autosave every minute), Just hit Ctrl + S at the end of each paragraph. It's easier for me this way though, It restores my WinAmp playlist immediately, Word's cursor is in exactly the same place so I can continue editing my assignment without trying to remember where I left off the night before. If I was doing anything else (And I normally am!) it picks up where I left off, so it's great.

At the moment at work Im leaving it on. It does a virus scan at night and I've scheduled it to do defrag, scandisk and the rest once a week on sepeperate nights.

I think that in the end its up to you, personal choice. Everything has it supposed good and down sides to it. Just pick which ever you find easiest!

Cheers

Chilling_Silence