PDA

View Full Version : Windows ME and safe mode

charmed
07-10-2002, 09:58 PM
Help needed! My mothers computer is booting up in safe mode. We have checked everything I can think of and still it will not start in normal mode any suggestions?
Mum said her comp is quite new 64mb RAM and comp speed around 799 oh its an IBM computer

sam m
07-10-2002, 10:10 PM
Hi Charmed,
Are you sure that it is 'safe mode'? I experienced the same thing as well, everytime I booted up the screen was grey safe mode colour. I spent an hour thinking it was safe mode but it was just the monitor screen resolution had changed. I think from memory I had to reinstall graphics card drivers and it was all good.

sam m

charmed
07-10-2002, 10:11 PM
it has the words safe mode in the corners of the screen

godfather
07-10-2002, 10:24 PM
As the PC boots up, repeatedly press the F8 key, and select Step by Step mode.

This will ask you before executing each part of the normal bootup, select Y for each step and note what (if any) process fails.

sam m
07-10-2002, 10:29 PM
Well that's safe mode ;)

Have a look here (http://support.microsoft.com/search/preview.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q306615) if you haven't already. I'll see if I have help notes I kept when I ran winME (this is scary that I had help notes about winME) to see if there is anything there.

sam m

charmed
07-10-2002, 10:30 PM
Yes we went through that it after we pressed F8 it loaded all the drivers then started normally-until it was shut down or restarted and it booted back into safe mode

godfather
07-10-2002, 10:34 PM
Sounds like its encountering a serious error on shutdown. Later OS detect that by restarting, but not ME as far as I know.

Look on the net for ME shutdown problems.

godfather
07-10-2002, 10:37 PM
While your computer is starting, press and hold the CTRL key.
When the Startup menu is displayed, use the UP ARROW and DOWN ARROW keys to choose Logged (\BOOTLOG.TXT), and then press ENTER.
After Windows starts, click Start, click Shut Down, click Restart, and then click OK.

To review your startup log file:

Double-click My Computer, double-click drive C, and then look for the Bootlog.prv file.
Double-click the Bootlog.prv file. If you are prompted to select a program to use to open the file, click WordPad, Notepad, or any text editor in the list.
Look for "Terminate=" entries.
These entries, located at the bottom of the file, might provide clues about the cause of the problem.
If a process that is started by a "Terminate=" entry is completed successfully, the file contains a matching "EndTerminate=" entry.

Check the last line in the Bootlog.prv file to see if it is one of these items:
Terminate=Query Drivers: This is a Memory Manager problem. Your computer might have defective memory chips or damaged files. You might need to reinstall Windows.

Terminate=Reset Display: Try installing an updated video adapter driver.
Terminate=RIT: There may be timer-related problems with the sound card or an older mouse driver. Try installing updated drivers for these devices.

Terminate=Win32: A program is not shutting down properly. Try quitting all programs before you shut down Windows.

charmed
07-10-2002, 10:41 PM
Ouch look painful...apparently the computer seems to have come "right" I have been researching on the net and the microsoft site suggests that windows ME may start automatically in safe mode because of issues with the antivirus program... I do not trust computers that seem to suddenly come right at all and if anyone has any additional suggestions I would appreciate them

P.S thanks to everyone who responded

Danger
07-10-2002, 11:00 PM
Have you tried running Sys Restore to a point before you started to experience the problem?

charmed
08-10-2002, 12:56 PM
Of course! The problem was not fixed though...

Graham L
08-10-2002, 05:24 PM
You don't trust computers which "suddenly come right" ... ;-)

This is the world of Microsoft Windows. It is much more common for things to "suddenly go wrong" :_| It came right for you ... be happy.

I've always believed in making settings, and having them staying set. I didn't mind wirewrapping option pins to set things. :D