PDA

View Full Version : Continuous beeping at startup

Chao is back
07-10-2002, 09:44 PM
Usually after some unstable power connections/power cut/etc. my PC on startup would beep repeatedly and continuously unless i shutdown fully and startup again. i have a surge protector and i thought they were suppose to protect against things like that, on the other hand my other PC which is 3 years older than my current is completely unaffected

The affected one is a:
PIII 500mhz

and unaffected is:
PII 300mhz

godfather
07-10-2002, 10:20 PM
Continuous beeping indicates memory or video problems.

Surge protectors are good, but unable to provide more than a low level of protection unless you pay hundreds of dollars for them.

Depending on the power network, and where you are relative to the distribution transformer, the level of "noise" at the time the power comes back on (caused by ferro-resonance in the transformer) can be quite severe. No surge suppressor can eliminate it completely except for on-line UPS systems. I experience loss of program in my PABX in these circumstances, but know a cheap surge guard wouldnt help.

If you are home when the power goes off, turn your main switch off. Turn it back on after the power is restored (Problem: how do you know the power is back on?)

Jen C
07-10-2002, 10:25 PM
> (Problem: how do you know the power is back on?)

Umm .... this could be when the house lights come back on again :D

godfather
07-10-2002, 10:42 PM
No, because you turned your main switch off, remember.

If its ONLY the PC you are worried about, turn it off at the wall. Off on the switch on the PC is NOT off (its nearly off, but not quite)

Earlier PCs were OFF when switched on the PCs

BUT, your PC isnt the only thing that doesnt like switch on transients and noise...Thats why I use the MAIN switch!

Have you ever noticed equipment usually fails at turn on, and I assure you it fails more often on system interruptions.

Jen C
07-10-2002, 10:53 PM
Sorry godfather, it didn't even occur to me that you should turn off the MAIN switch in a powercut - thanks for that tip!

PS* You could always watch out for your neighbours lights when power is restored.