PDA

View Full Version : Temporary internet files can't find em

falvrez
07-10-2002, 03:36 PM
HI All,

Okay I've searched and read all the other comments about temporary internet files, but they don't relate to this.

I'm using XP Pro and in my local settings/ balh blah blah temporary internet files folder there are some 180 files (I just cleaned it out) taking up say 250k of space.

But (!) when I click on the properties of this folder, it says there are 8,000 files in 23 folders taking up 987megs of space....and yes, I always have my "show hidden files and folders" on. So it's not that.

Any suggestions? Running a little short of space.

Cheers and thanks

Chilling_Silence
07-10-2002, 03:40 PM
Suggestion 1:
Open IE
Click Tools
Click Options
Click Delete Files

Check how much is freed...

Suggestion 2:
If you have formatted your PC using NTFS, then:
Open my Computer
Right-Click on C-Drive
Select Compress Drive to save Disk Space

At least I think you can do that In XP, I know it works in 2K, so check anyways

falvrez
07-10-2002, 03:55 PM
Hey C_S

I feel like such a fool - used to doing things the long way I guess....but anyway, went to IE and deleted the files automatically from there, now I'm down to 700Mb used in 585 files in 23 folders, none of which are visible.
I can now see my cookies in that folder which I couldn't see before (weird!) but still using 700 megs in that folder when there are only 400 or so cookies there (all 1k of course).

Compress my drive? Man, you want me to go back to wearing jockeys too? :)

Appreciate any other suggestions.

Chilling_Silence
07-10-2002, 04:05 PM
Try checking in the other useres folder in Document and Settings...
Have you ever had more than one login?

Jockeys?? How bout no.... I'm not that cruel am I? :p

falvrez
07-10-2002, 05:17 PM
Hey again C_S

No only ever had one login. Checked the other logins anyway (administrator etc) but all TIF folders 32k and no more.

it is only the one folder that is showing up as using 700megs even though there is only a few hundred cookies in it...

godfather
07-10-2002, 05:22 PM
Mine is 6 megs in size, 980 files.

How much space have you allocated (Tools - Internet Options - General tab - Settings) on IE toolbar.

Set it to 10 megs and see what happens.