PDA

View Full Version : ac97 audio codec / gigabyte mobo

markOS X
07-10-2002, 02:56 PM
I am trying to install the newest version of the via ac97 audio drivers.

However, when I run the install file, it pops up a message box saying "via ac97 audio chipset is not enabled on this system" and that I have to enable it on the bios before i can install the new driver.

When I go to the bios, there are two settings: Disabled and Auto. I have it set to Auto.

I have downloaded the latest copy of my mobo user manual and looked at various sites, and I have discovered that if I don't have the ac97 codec installed, the bios won't detect it and defaults to Disabled from Auto on startup.
This must mean that I don't have it installed - I searched the device manager and couldn't find any reference to "ac97" in the Audio Codecs section.

I assumed that installing the ac97 drivers would also install the ac97 codec, but apparently not, and I have no idea what to do from here.

My system is a Gigabyte GA7ZX-H mobo with a Duron 800, and i'm running winXP Pro.
The sites i've searched are www.gigabyte.com.tw (my mobo), www.viaarena.com (creators of ac97, afaik) and www.driverguide.com .

Any help appreciated.

Cheers,
markOS X

loser
07-10-2002, 03:51 PM
i'm running win98se and had same thing.
try enabling legacy support in the bios if it is there...
do you currently have a driver already installed? unless you are having problems i'd be tempted to live with the old one. personally with the ac97 i've had more probs since installing the new drivers than the old ones, so i downgraded in the end. you probably won't notice any benefits from a new one unless something isn't working currently...

if not, maybe try running windows update to let it install it's own, then install the new one over the top. i'm sure a host of people are gonna say that you are better off removing old drivers before installing new ones, but hey, it works for me.

i thought that the driver WAS the codec anyway, but i couldn't be sure now. someone else will verify.

markOS X
07-10-2002, 11:06 PM
Cheers for your help,

I did some investigating and I found a few things:
+ The AC97 codec is stored on a chip on the mobo.
+ I have a GA-7ZX (not a GA-7ZX-H)
+ GA-7ZX's use a soundblaster codec (not AC97)

With this in mind, I updated my bios, then my mobo and sound drivers.
New sound driver was 30mb, which was nice on a dial-up connection.

All is now sorted, my sound probs are fixed.

markOS X.