PDA

View Full Version : Zonealarm V 3.1.395

johnd01
07-10-2002, 02:35 PM
Have installed update to this version on machine running Win ME and NAV 2002. On bootup now get dialup connection screen. Disable ZA and alls ok. More annoying than anything else but cant find why its doing this. Any help appreciated.

loser
07-10-2002, 03:54 PM
there should be a setting in there labelled something like "automatically check for updates" with a check box. try disabling that.
this may not work though, when I upgrade to the latest version of ZA i got the same thing and couldn't get rid of it, in the end it ****ed me off so much I changed to "tiny personal firewall". it's smaller than ZA, and I like it more now....

FrankS
07-10-2002, 03:59 PM
Look at Overview | Preferences |Check for product updates | is "Automatically" ticked?. If it is, suggest Zonealarm is doing what it is told everytime it is opened and getting you on line to check for updates. I set mine to manual after a similar experience.

Miami Steve
07-10-2002, 04:11 PM
The previous replies probably answer the question, but I would just say that after using ZA for quite a while now, I downloaded and installed Kerio Personal Firewall (after hearing about it on this forum for the first time) and I am quite impressed with the clean interface etc. It asks a lot of questions at the beginning, but from memory, so did ZA.

Steve

stumpey
07-10-2002, 08:11 PM
This topic was covered a couple of weeks ago. Seems there is some sort of communication triggered - but reasons seem vague. I havn't really had time to read up properly as we have been doing some house trading.

Do a PressF1 search on "zonealarm" for the past couple of weeks or a month.

Most seem to give up and re-install the old version or have already switched to an alternative.

I am happy enough with ZA for now but will look at some of the alternatives when our house shifting is over.

parry
07-10-2002, 09:06 PM
Hi yes I had exactly the same problem as well - see this thread (http://pressf1.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=25650).

there is no fix from ZA yet and the latest version to my knowledge which doesnt have this problem is 3.1.291. I would suggest trying to get an older version and flag away 3.1.395 until a fix is out.

johnd01
08-10-2002, 11:05 PM
My thanks to all who answered. Have reinstalled older version. As a matter of interest I have rebuilt 3 machines in past 2 weeks all on win98se and NAV2002. ZA was installed as a fresh install and no problems. Seems fault lies with updating. Did see in a blurb not to install direct over an older version but to do a uninstall of older version first. This did not cure problem but makes me think that there is something left from the old version that causes this conflict. Have even stripped registry of any link to ZA but when installing new version get message to advise previous settings detected. I give up.

tweak\'e
08-10-2002, 11:19 PM
sounds like you left the database files in. see the ZA cleaning instructions on their website.