PDA

View Full Version : nz web development and design help site - UPDATE

sal
07-10-2002, 03:50 AM
ok, so judging from the time, its QUITE late, but i have got school tomorrow, i mean today :?, so i really wanted to get something sorta up on the web.,
there are quite a few things that need finishing, such as a prettY logo for the top header, and, because i have used php-nuke, the 'modules' need a bit more tweaking, etc, but anyways, have a look, and let me know what you think so far

http://sal.neoburn.net/~htmlhelp/index.php
(i have had to host it 'off-shore' at my personal webspace for the meanwhile)

grtz sal.
tga

loser
07-10-2002, 04:05 PM
some labels or tooltips for the menu across the top would be good i reckon.

looks pretty enough, seems easy to navigate around.
I like it.

Chilling_Silence
07-10-2002, 04:11 PM
Man that's nice!

Reminds me a bit of the most recent download of ICQ Lite!

I'm loving it.
It would be a bit better if on mouseover of the top nav, there was a quicker menu appearing with what the link was.. I got a bit bored waiting for the Alt tabs to be displayed.
Otherwise... Can you teach me to design like that?!!!

Good on ya!

loser
07-10-2002, 04:19 PM
errr so there are tooltips....
make them work in Opera. please ;)
there's nothing i hate more than having to fire up IE coz someone has done something that won't work in Opera.
What's that site... errrrr.... searching, searching...
ok i found it...
have a read of this any browser (http://www.anybrowser.org)
You might mention it on your site when you get some content up too...

Jen C
07-10-2002, 05:44 PM
That looks really good sal.

I like the clean crisp colours and layout. I viewed it with both IE6 and Opera 6.5 and everything looked OK. Couldn't find anything called "tooltips" as mentioned by loser ... perhaps I am being blind!

Well done!

sal
07-10-2002, 05:47 PM
tooltips are the wee messages that popup when you mouse over images, etc, these are on the icons in the top nav bar, eg, home, downloads, etc (although n the final product, downloads will be removed)
its still early days with this site,so will keep you guys posted, thanks for your responses so far

grtz sal.
nz

Chilling_Silence
07-10-2002, 05:49 PM
I thought they were called Alt Tags?

Sam H
07-10-2002, 08:03 PM
Looking bloody brilliant, I must get in and tidy my site up and bring it up to your standards.

sal
08-10-2002, 04:50 PM
ok, so i just started work on this new html help site friday last week and dont think i can do the job by myself

anyone here consider themselves html masters?
oh, and more comments please

grtz sal.
tga

http://sal.neoburn.net/~htmlhelp/

Jen C
08-10-2002, 05:04 PM
Hi again sal,

I went back to your site and checked out topics and I noticed that with both IE6 and Opera 6.5 your active hover area for the tutorials is above the writing html, javascript and PHP & SQL (blank areas) and not over the writing. Are you intending to have an image is this area? If not, the active area could be missed (I did initially).

Cheers
Jen

Sam H
08-10-2002, 06:15 PM
Hi Sal I would be happy to help out in anyway I can If I can find some spare time in my busy schedule. I don't quite consider myself an HTML master but I did make http://computerlinks.hostnz.co.nz using notepad and I think I am capable of doing Introductory Tutorials and maybe Intermediate tutorials. Although they may need some heavy editing as my speeling its not so godd. :D

I also noticed what Jen C noticed using IE6.

sal
08-10-2002, 11:11 PM
truth is, there is actually an image there, its just i havent had any time to make real ones, to represent the sections, so just made a quick transparent one to represent each one sepretely(i guess i should have at least made visible clues, huh)

Sam H: i have made admin account for you, are you on msn messenger?

grtz sal.
tga

antmannz
09-10-2002, 05:07 PM
Nice, clean looking site, sal. I can probably help ya with some content - html, asp, javascript

Sam H
09-10-2002, 06:23 PM
Sal: Yes I do, you can contact me through my address on my website about those login details or about contacting me through msn if you want.

http://computerlinks.hostnz.co.nz

BarryMcQ
09-10-2002, 08:54 PM
Hi Sal,

I like it.
I registered but (I'm tired) so I got the nickname wrong can you change it,
or should I re-register?

I think it will be a great source site and have already added it to my favs. I look forward to watching it grow.

Also I couldn't see how to contact the administrator?

Keep up the great work.

Sam H
10-10-2002, 10:16 PM
Sal I thought you may want to know when viewing you post in the general forum I clicked Post Reply and got the following error.

Parse error: parse error, unexpected $ in /home/virtual/site22/fst/home/htmlhelp/public_html/modules/Forums/reply.php on line 42

> Sam H: i have made admin account for you, are you on
> msn messenger?

Have you made an account for me? If so could you please send the details to nzcomputerlinks (at) yahoo.com, replacing the (at) with an @.

Cheers
Sam H

sal
10-10-2002, 10:42 PM
cool, thanks for that and...

go to the htmlhelp site, the details are in your PM box ;) (bet u didnt know bout that :P)

grtz sal.
tga

*Sam, you heard of that free course over in the Mount, they teach you how to make database driven sites etc (with MS Access though :()

Susan B
11-10-2002, 09:31 AM
sal, are you planning on having a title at the top of each page? At the moment it looks just like a chat forum with your messages, etc and I forgot what the page was for! :D