PDA

View Full Version : xp pro illegit key

moamanz
06-10-2002, 02:49 PM
Could anyone tell me if this key is a legit key or wether my friend has been fitted up with an illegal copy of xp pro.Only discovered while trying the SP1 download was she advised it was not a legit key.Any help appreciated.
FCKGW.RHQQ2-YXRKT-8TG6W-2B7Q8
note the stop after the first group,most I have seen all have the dash between each group.Could this be a reason for the rejection.

Graham L
06-10-2002, 02:53 PM
Try typing in the number without the "-"s (or the ".". I'm pretty sure that they should not be entered ... they are just "punctuation". You will find that the cursor jumps to the next window after each 5 characters.

sam m
06-10-2002, 03:05 PM
Unless you read that XP code off the cd case or on the side of the computer then I would say that it is not legit. If you are brave enough then ring Microsoft to confirm. SP1 cannot be installed on known pirated copies so I think you know the answer.

sam m

b1naryb0y
06-10-2002, 03:19 PM
That key is a known pirated key and has been blacklisted in SP1.

There are ways around this ie. changing the product key. Microsoft in fact has instructions on how to do this, but you will still need a legit key after changing it.

tweak\'e
06-10-2002, 03:19 PM
if she bought the pc from a shop and the shop supplied the OS then i would give MS a call. has she got XP on a disk? restore disk? restore partition?

there has been a few shops/techs done for selling pirate vers with new/old pc's before so i would not be surprised if it wasn't legit.

moamanz
06-10-2002, 05:44 PM
Thanks,as I suspected,but needed some more confirmation.As I also suspected the seller/retailer has done a runner.My suspicions were raised when he told her after delivering it and setting it up for her that he would post the appropriate paperwork and warranties,he most generously left her with a few disks relating to office 2000.Sadly another buyer beware tale.Unfortunately I reside in NZ,and she in Great Britain,so helping her has become a remote mission.Only upside is she has broadband for little more than I have to pay for 48k at best.Dont you just hate it.ha ha ha thanks again Dave.

-=JM=-
06-10-2002, 08:40 PM
That key is the most commonly known CD-KEY for XP. It's a corporate key and is commonly known as "The Devils Own". It's also black listed in SP1

Fishb8
09-10-2002, 01:00 AM
Have a look at these.
http://www.tweaktown.com/document.php?dId=350&dType=guide
http://pro-networks.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1954

~~~~~<*)))))><{~~~~~~~~~~<*)))))><{~~~~~~~~
~~~<*)))))><{~~~~~~~~~<*)))))><{~~~~~~~~<*)))))><{~~~~
Roy Price - May the Fish be with you

Crunn
09-10-2002, 07:05 PM
Everyone is right about the dud key. Piracy ? Pedantically correct. How about the price for the product ? Do a few sums on numbers sold, etc. Want to stamp out piracy ? Charge a fair price. Losing money because of all those nasty pirates ? Wake up, go look at the profits for these companies. Most exceed the GNP of NZ !! Answer to key loss? It is ridiculously easy to crack using their own activation software. What are they trying to achieve ? Knock the local swap-meets on the head. How much would that all add up to ? Peanuts. C'est la vie or shigata ga nai to use but two languages !

-=JM=-
09-10-2002, 08:01 PM
> Everyone is right about the dud key. Piracy ?
> Pedantically correct. How about the price for the
> product ? Do a few sums on numbers sold, etc. Want
> to stamp out piracy ? Charge a fair price. Losing
> money because of all those nasty pirates ? Wake up,
> go look at the profits for these companies. Most
> exceed the GNP of NZ !! Answer to key loss? It is
> ridiculously easy to crack using their own
> activation software. What are they trying to
> achieve ? Knock the local swap-meets on the head.
> How much would that all add up to ? Peanuts.
> . C'est la vie or shigata ga nai to use but two
> languages !

may be so.

But if you buy a computer from a retailer that gets bundled with an operating system. It should be a LEGAL operating system.

Lohsing
09-10-2002, 08:09 PM
I found this site (http://tweaktown.com/document.php?dId=350&dType=guide) from Tweake's news... it should solve your friend's problems.

Lo.