PDA

View Full Version : Ok, here's another good one!

Mandy Fisher
05-10-2002, 10:04 PM
I am abit stressed about viruses, naturally being a baby to all this!

I have a PC Company computer with XP and it came with PC-cillin Anti-Virus, but the salesman said it is not as good as Norton, so I worried for a week or two and then I downloaded AVG 6.0, so then I had two. Then last nite I downloaded a free Norton 2002 version as well , so now I have three!! What a lucky girl I am!!!

But now I am wondering If I need to constantly run them all and how often and which one is the most recommended? And should I be losing sleep because of this computer????

Mike
05-10-2002, 10:14 PM
Mandy,

It is recommended that you don't have more than 1 Antivirus running at one time, as this can cause more problems and possibly leave you open to receiving viruses anyway.

I'd say Norton's would be the best of those three (and is the one I use - I was using AVG before that, which is very good, for a free one). The Norton's version you've got however will only work for about 30 days before you have to either uninstall it, or purchase it (they're about $140 in the shops, so it's not a cheap one). Or you could try to win it on PressF1 :D. If you're wanting to use a free one, then stick with AVG, or else stick with PC-Cillin, as I do'nt think that's a free one, and you've already got it. They all do the same job.

And don't worry about getting viruses - I've received only a few over the years, and I'm getting them less and less nowadays, and the odd one I do get is always stopped on it's way in by my virus checker. Just be careful about opening attachments on your emails that you weren't expecting, or from people you don't know.

Mike.

Heather P
05-10-2002, 11:32 PM
Mandy,

Anti-virus programs are good, but they only know about viruses they are programmed to know about. (This means 99.999999% of the time if you keep your anti-virus definitions up-to-date you're OK).

The general rule is THINK before opening an attachment. Would you expect to get a Love Letter from your boss or brother? If your friend sends you something completely out of context - would you open the attachment? If you get 2 emails together and one is blank except for an attachment - would you open it?

If in doubt - email the sender and ask if it's legit before opening attachments.

Paranoia about viruses is perfectly normal. It takes a while till you recognise the symptoms but then it all becomes a bit ho hum.

One other point. If you get an email warning about a virus - check before actioning it. There's one doing the rounds at the moment saying "there's a nasty virus about that the anti-virus people don't recognise. Quick! install this patch!" (or words to this effect). The "patch" is a virus.

Also, NEVER delete a file because an email tells you to! The odds are you'll have to find it again because you've been caught by a hoax.

If in doubt - Ask.

Mike
06-10-2002, 06:43 AM
> One other point. If you get an email warning about a
> virus - check before actioning it. There's one doing
> the rounds at the moment saying "there's a nasty
> virus about that the anti-virus people don't
> recognise. Quick! install this patch!" (or words to
> this effect). The "patch" is a virus.

Just to add, it's very unlikely (think almost impossible) to get a virus the the "anti-virus people" don't recognise, and so you can usually pretty much ignore any warning you get via email (I have yet to receive an email like this that is actually true).

Mike.

wotz
06-10-2002, 07:48 AM
The biggest thing with whichever one you go with is to keep it up to date. Sooo many people say they have antivirus software but still get caught out. They usually have never updated since they got the pc.

mark c
06-10-2002, 08:33 AM
And be aware that Microsoft do not ever send out virus alerts by email.

I agree with the others that good user practices are the key. If you fly around opening every bit of crud that you get you will sooner or later grind to a halt. Not only viruses but free programs that have spyware or trojans or on and on it goes.

Be careful.

Have fun. :D

Heather P
06-10-2002, 10:04 AM
The older Norton programs let the virus through. It was when you clicked on the attachment that the big red screen came up thus stopping it in it's evil work.

The newer versions (I upgraded to 2002 at the beginning of the year) intercept them on their way in and quarantine them. A message comes up warning that the email had a virus and it's been quarantined. Last week I went into the quarantine file and deleted 2 copies of the bugbear virus and 6 of klez.h (all happily harmless as they hadn't been opened to activate).

Pick one of your 3 programs, delete the other 2 and keep it up-to-date. I prefer Norton (have used it for years so see no reason to change) and pay for it. Others recommend AVG.

If Norton is set to auto-update then basically you read the instructions, set it and forget it. I don't know how the others work (Question for someone who uses AVG - are updates automatic or do you need to manually download them?).

Nortons does cost around $140 plus an annual license fee for the definitions (1st year included in the $140)

dipstick01
06-10-2002, 10:59 AM
you will probably find that your version of pc cillen is also a limited trial version as most new computers only have the trial versions not the full program. The others are all correct. You only need one Anti Virus program but it does need to be kept up to date with the virus definitions. Norton is my personal favourite but you will different people telling you to use different programs depending on their point of view. Find the one you like and then stick with it.
AVG can autoupdate but it usually only does it every 14 days which is often too late for the new viruses.
If you receive a strange email or an email warning about the latest virus then just delete it. Anti virus companies and microsoft do not send oput emails and often you will find they are hoax emails trying to get you to do the damage to your computer yourself. If in doubt go to http://www.symantec.com which is the home page for norton anti virus. They have a section on all the hoax emails that do the rounds on a regular basis.

Terry Porritt
06-10-2002, 11:07 AM
Heather, as Dipstick says AVG can auto-update, you can set time, and "Update if database is older than 'x' days, where X can be from 1 day old, I think the default setting is 14 days.
This is only any good though if you are online at the time stated, it's much better to update manually, and remember to do so. (OR, keep on eye open for Kiwitas' postings, who does a good job to remind us to check updates:) )

Heather P
06-10-2002, 11:25 AM
>online at the time stated, it's much better to update manually

I think Nortons checks for updates every time you log in and downloads if there's a new one.

Works fine for me cause I have a flat rate and stay on line a lot. Not so good for my papa who pays an hourly rate, logs in to check his email and goes off line to read it (I started to wonder last week if he cuts Norton off before the download is complete! His eyesight being what it is I really should head over there occasionally and check. And yes, I have thought of remote software but it's expensive and would take time to learn it).

See Mandy, there's never a straight answer to a computer question. There's always at least 3 ways to do something and one person's ideal way of doing a task isn't right for someone else.

Mike
06-10-2002, 05:03 PM
>>> do something and one person's ideal way of doing a
>>> task isn't right for someone else.

Except if it's my way, cause my way is always right :D

Mike.

Mandy Fisher
06-10-2002, 08:11 PM
Yeah but Mike you are a male and males always think they are right!!!
Behind every good man is a better woman!!!

wotz
06-10-2002, 08:16 PM
Uh oh ........ I'm starting to feel the need to defend Mike

dipstick01
06-10-2002, 08:46 PM
> Yeah but Mike you are a male and males always think
> they are right!!!
> Behind every good man is a better woman!!!

Apart from in Iraq where the women now walk 5 paces in front of the man. (minefields) :)

Mike
07-10-2002, 08:12 AM
> Yeah but Mike you are a male and males always think
> they are right!!!

Ask my wife - I am always right :)

> Behind every good man is a better woman!!!

<looks behind> No there's not... I think she's upstairs feeding the baby :D

Mike.

Mike
07-10-2002, 08:13 AM
> Uh oh ........ I'm starting to feel the need to
> defend Mike

well hurry up then :)

Mike.

Mike
07-10-2002, 08:15 AM
>>> Apart from in Iraq where the women now walk 5 paces
>>> in front of the man. (minefields) :)

At least in Iraq you're allowed more than one wife, so if one gets blown to pieces, you've got more at home... Just as long as you order them according to favouritism - least favourite first ;) <prepares to be majorly flamed> :D :D :D

Mike.

~42~
07-10-2002, 10:38 AM
Mind you, i always think I am right; why would I want to believe something I think is wrong?