PDA

View Full Version : problems please help

chantillylace
05-10-2002, 09:20 AM
hello
i have a few problems at the moment firstly on my desktop i have a problem that when my picture changes or i launch a programme it leaves a square piece behind down the bottom in the middle about 1and a half inches square how can i fix this
i cannot run a system restore either it seems to have not enough memory
lastly for now i cant run pc cd and it would be good too
i have just done a scan disk and defrag and emptied temp int files

antmannz
05-10-2002, 11:18 AM
Sounds like your system might need some more RAM.

Can you please post your system details, ie.
- processor (Pentium/AMD?),
- hard disk size and space remaining,
- amount of RAM,
- video card, etc

godfather
05-10-2002, 12:42 PM
I would guess that your system used "shared memory" for on-board graphics.

Its often a sign of lack of ram, however some programs are also badly written, which contribute to it. Its usually where a dialogue box was displayed.

I have seen it go away when ram is increased though.

chantillylace
05-10-2002, 03:43 PM
> Sounds like your system might need some more RAM.
>
> Can you please post your system details, ie.
> - processor (Pentium/AMD?),
> - hard disk size and space remaining,
> - amount of RAM,
> - video card, etc

chantillylace
05-10-2002, 03:58 PM
thanks for getting back to me this is very fustrating im a newbie too
anyway hope this helps you to help me
processor: amd duron(tm) processor authentic amd 900 mhz
128MB SD RAM.BX,PC-100
system c used 5.72GB
free 12.8GB
microsoft windows me
version 4.90.3000
system name OEM COMPUTER

Total pysical memory 119.45
available virtual memory1.72GB
page file space 1.88GB
I hope this helps let me know if you need more information and where i get it from all this means nothing to me just learning
and have you any ideas on how to get the pc cd going
many thanks

Graham L
05-10-2002, 04:26 PM
How many programmes do you have "running" all the time? If you are loading Office, and a browser, and ... you will quickly become short of memory. Try not loading a programme until you need it ... you may find that some aren't used (ever) and the problem will go away.

The pagefile size of 1.88 GB mught indicate this is happening?
128 MB should be usable ... whough more is always better.

Rod ger
05-10-2002, 07:20 PM
Try looking at your free resourses, this will give you some idea of the condition of your computer. Click on start\settings\control panel\system\performance and let us know what % of free resourses you have. It's probably best to do this after a start or restart to be a little more accurate.

Also press Ctrl Alt Del keys together once and see how many programs are running.

chantillylace
06-10-2002, 10:14 AM
how do i stop these programmes running they just seem to do it by themselves when i hit the alt ctrl del keys i had 18 running straight away

dipstick01
06-10-2002, 12:04 PM
go here (http://dipstick01.hostnz.co.nz) and check out the section on startup. I have details on controlling your startup and there is also links and a file that will tell you what exactly all the programs are and if you need them or not when your computer starts.

Rod ger
06-10-2002, 12:38 PM
At a basic level all you NEED to run Windows is Systray and Explorer.
I run antivirus and firewall programs too, but generally Less is Better.
Look on your task bar(bottom RH side of your screen) and run your curser over the icons to see what they are try to find the corresponding entry in the close Program window, note them down.

Then press Start\Run and enter MSConfig Press enter this shows ALL the programs running at startup( I would tend to leave the ones not shown in the Close program Window alone) Check the programs out and see how they correspnd to what you have already found out. UNTICK the ones you don't need(ie most of them) press Apply , Yes and restart your computer.

You should notice a big difference.

You can reload any of the entries by doing the process in reverse.

Rod ger
06-10-2002, 12:41 PM
Sorry missed out : Press the Startup Tab when you get to MSConfig

Danger
06-10-2002, 03:09 PM
How come I can run my PC without Sys Tray running with no problems? I have it unticked in my start ups list and ctrl/alt/del indicates it is not running.

tweak\'e
06-10-2002, 03:17 PM
sys tray is not really needed as its only the volume control.

chantillylace
06-10-2002, 03:24 PM
thankyou very much for your helpful infirmation it is a great site i have listed all my programmes running and i will disable some for sure im just wondering though that there are some like incredimail, microsoft works portfolio and webshots if i disable them will the programmes still work
will wait for your reply before doing anything thanks

Rod ger
06-10-2002, 03:24 PM
Have a look here(especially towards the bottom)

http://www.experts-exchange.com/Operating_Systems/Win98/Q_20120811.html#1

chantillylace
06-10-2002, 03:26 PM
i have done this job and there is 57% free let me know what you think thanks

Rod ger
06-10-2002, 04:25 PM
Could be a lot better( mine is 93% free at startup)

What have you got on your Close Program window now?

chantillylace
06-10-2002, 05:52 PM
hi
are you refering to when you go misconfig because i found alot of things in there that i have no idea what they are but they dont show up when i hit ctrl alt del here is and example
load power profile - RUNDLL.32 .exepowrprof.dll load current pwr scheme
and tweak UI - RUNDLL.EXE TWEAKUI CPL, tweakmeup
i have no idea what these are and there are others

Rod ger
06-10-2002, 06:19 PM
Tweakui is a little MS program to ajust some of your settings. (go to Start\Settings\Control Panel and click on Tweakui) I am running that one too.
The power profile is also in the Control Panel , It shuts down different parts of your computer when it is left unattended thus saving power. If you just sit down, use you computer, and then close down afterwards you can switch it off. I have this enabled myself.

You seem to have something that is pretty resource hungry still. Can you give us a list of what is running apart from Systray, Explorer, and the two proggies above.

chantillylace
06-10-2002, 07:20 PM
o.k. here goes i dont even know what most of these are :
MSMSGS, SCAN REGISTRY, TASK MONITOR, PC HEALTH, SYSTEM TRAY, LOAD POWER PROFILE, WORKS FUD, MICROSOFT WORKS PORTFOLIO, MICROSOFT WORKS UPDATE DETECTION, INCREDIMAIL, LOADQM, WCMDMGR, TKBELLEXE, PRECISION TIME, WINSTART, LOADPOWER PROFILE, SCHEDULING AGENT, STATEMGR, SSDPSRV, AVGSERV9.EXE AND LASTLY DL HELPEREXE.

I STILL HAVE GOT THAT PROBLEM WITH MY DESKTOP LEAVING BEHIND A SQUARE OF PREVIOUS PAGE TOO AND I HAVE HAD ALOT OF KERNEL32 MESSAGES THIS AFTERNOON HOPE ITS NOTHING IVE DONE
THANKS

Rod ger
07-10-2002, 01:09 AM
Thats a heap of proggies.

First off I would keep Scan Registry, Task Monitor, System Tray, Power profile, if you need it(only once) and AVG, all the rest, I myself would get rid of, BUT thats really up to you. Remember less is always better. There may be programs necessary for ME but I'm sure others will tell you

To help you sort them out, have a look here:

http://dipstick01.hostnz.co.nz/reference%20start.htm

note the alphabetical index at the beginning( thank you dipstick)

Lots of stuff could be run off shortcuts or bookmarks if you wish to keep it.

I run W98 and have Systray Explorer, AVG, Scan Registry, Outpost Firewall, Power Profile, Tweakui as an example.

Let us know how you get on. Once you have this sorted we can look at the other stuff if it is still there by then

dipstick01
07-10-2002, 07:31 AM
you will find microsoft works will be one of the programs that is using the most resources, try and disable any programs in the options/tools/preferences section of the program before unticking it in msconfig.
Some programs reinstall themselves into your startup if it is disabled in msconfig and you end up with a very long list of programs trying to start up. Check out the section on my site about startup for more info on what the actual programs are and if you need them or not.
I am running ME and have 86% resources free at startup ( I run a few programs )
Tweakui is a good program so keep that one running but have a good look at the others. You will still be able to run any programs you disable in startup, all you will be doing is stopping EVERYTHING running when your computer turns on.
Manufacturers seem to think their program ( whatever it is ) is so great it just has to start at the same time as your computer.

chantillylace
07-10-2002, 10:18 AM
hi thanks for your help
i have uncheckedalot more of them but are still unsure about a few please advise
MSMSGS - i use msn
LOADQM
WCMDMGR - will this still work properly
PRECISION TIME
LOADPOWER PROFILE - dont know what this is

i now have 78% free resourses

chantillylace
07-10-2002, 10:20 AM
for microsoft works im not sure how to disable this in options/tools/preferences section of the programme please help me on this one
thanks

tweak\'e
07-10-2002, 11:13 AM
loadqm can go without hurting anything. microsoftworks you cannot disable from startup.

wcmdmgr.....wildtangent if i remember correctly. you can disable this (check optoins in wildtangent.

chantillylace
07-10-2002, 12:47 PM
hi thanks again i do hope im getting somewhere
and thanks rod ger too well i now have 81% free resources
just a couple of things again since going to msconfig i now have a message which displays on start up - you are using the selective setup for troubleshooting your system surely i dont need this
also i havnt had a look in the close programme how do i do this
still have a piece of desktop which gets left behind on changing windows
thanks
computer is running alot faster now even so

godfather
07-10-2002, 12:51 PM
There is a tick box "dont show this message", just tick it and you wont see it again, unless you change something under msconfig. 81% sounds reasonable, from memory.

tweak\'e
07-10-2002, 01:08 PM
what exactly does this box look like? is it on the desktop on on the taskbar?

>piece of desktop which gets left behind on changing windows

what windows are being changed? what video card do you have? may pay to check for updated drivers.

Rod ger
07-10-2002, 01:14 PM
The Close Program is when you press Ctrl\Alt Del.

With MSMSGS find the program on your Hard Drive, probably C:\Program Files\Messenger\ and look for msmsg.exe. Create a shortcut by right clicking on msmsg.exe and selecting "Create a shortcut" This will place a Shortcut to msmsg file in the folder. you can the cut and paste it to your Desktop if you use it a lot, or place it in the communications folder if you don't use it so much( Start\Programs\Accessories\Communications)

You could use this technique for other internet programs as well to avoid loading them at startup but still having them available when wanted

godfather
07-10-2002, 02:03 PM
tweak'e, I think what is being referred to is a portion of the screen that still contains the previous (or no) window info when the active window changes to another app.

I have seen it on "shared memory" video systems, some progs were worse than others but it appeard to go away when more ram was added.

Its usually a dialogue box or drop-down menu that doesn't get refreshed with new video content when changing between apps.

chantillylace
07-10-2002, 02:54 PM
thanks for that will do

Chilling_Silence
07-10-2002, 03:15 PM
Quick temporary fix:
Press the "Win" key and "D" at the same time to show the desktop, then press it again to bring back all your windows!

chantillylace
07-10-2002, 03:20 PM
hi
im not sure what video card i have on a specification piece of paper i have i found this
savage 4 3D video, 16Mb (shared)
if this doesnt help please tell me where i can find this info for u
also this desktop problem i have is mainly when my webshot pictures change on my desktop it will leave a peace about and inch or so square just above the toolbar down the bottom in the middle
it also happens with incredimail sometimes i never used to have this problem

godfather
07-10-2002, 03:56 PM
You dont have a video card. You have a chipset on the motherboard providing the video and using some of the main memory to do so.

Refer to my 2 replies to you above, re "shared" memory for video.

What you are seeing is not uncommon. It manifests itself on things that use a lot of memory for video (webshots?) and *may* possibly go away with more memory. At least thats my experience.

chantillylace
07-10-2002, 04:19 PM
hi me again
hey thanks heaps im sure im getting there 84% free now have made the shortcut mith msn thanks
still havnt been able to do that with microsoft works though have launched the programme and i cant find in tools how disable on startup but it wasnt in startup last time i looked would love to get to the bottom of this square problem seems like i have freed up heaps have had a real good clean out to there is so much for me to learn thank goodness for people like yourselves out there to help us newbies
thanks

Chilling_Silence
07-10-2002, 04:27 PM
You can try Super Rabbit Magic set to remove it from startup:
http://www.superrsoft.com
Under the downloads section...
When downloaded, goto the AutoRun icon. It'll be in there, as I've removed it too using ME!

That upped my resources 6-7% at least (Even thou the PC wasnt mine)

Cheers

Chilling_Silence

godfather
07-10-2002, 04:32 PM
Remember though freeing up resources is NOT necessarily freeing up memory.

They are 2 different things.

Chilling_Silence
07-10-2002, 04:35 PM
mmmm.... but it decreased the boot time by 4-5 second on a 1.2Ghz Duron. Resourceses is the combination of proccessor and memory isn't it?? Please correct me if I am wrong, I am only making an asumption here..

chantillylace
07-10-2002, 04:39 PM
hi o.k. so things seems clearer now i dont have enough memory i need more ram right? sounds expensive or would i be better to get a video card it just seems strange that it didnt do it when i first started using webshots which i enjoy very much i have some cool pictures on there for anyone to use although i have alot more to add have just started
thanks heaps

godfather
07-10-2002, 04:40 PM
Windows Memory & Resources are two entirely different things. Main memory or RAM (Random Access Memory) refers to physical memory that is internal to the computer.

System resources are areas of memory that are used by the input manager (USER.EXE) and the graphic display interface manager (GDI.EXE) for keeping track of all of the windows that are open in a session and for drawing objects on the screen. Owing to their fundamental nature, the performance of these programs has been improved by limiting their data to a single 64Kb segment of DOS memory (the Intel processors can access data from a 64Kb segment much faster than from a wider area). If either of these segments becomes full, programs may fail to load and Windows may become unstable - regardless of how much other free memory there is.

Each application that is loaded, and each window and child-window that is open, consumes system resources. Typically an application consumes 2-8% of system resources, and each child-window consumes 1-2%. Certain programs (eg Print Manager and some TCP/IP communication programs are particularly bad culprits) are much more greedy for system resources than this. Closing an application should release its allocated system resources, but some software is not as well behaved as it should be and this release may not happen. If the free resources fall below about 10-15%, serious problems may be encountered and Windows should be restarted as soon as possible.

chantillylace
07-10-2002, 04:47 PM
hi are you referring to me not been able to disable microsoft works from startup there is quite a discussion here haopefully it hasnt helped only me
thanks
this is quite brain frying for me

Chilling_Silence
07-10-2002, 04:59 PM
Alrighty, Except from once when I was using WindowsBlinds on a 98 PC with 32 MB RAM, It's always above 85%, otherwise it gets noticably slow!

Jen C
07-10-2002, 05:17 PM
> hi are you referring to me not been able to disable
> microsoft works from startup

Hi Chantillylace, did you manage to disable Microsoft works from startup?

If not, you need to remove the ticks in startup from "Microsoft Works Portfolio" and "Microsoft Works update detection". It is getting a bit confusing with what stage you are up to.

Adding more RAM would not be a bad idea anyway with ME and the 128MB you currently have. I doubled my RAM earlier this year due to a lot of unspecific problems I was having, and this seemed to fix whatever was going on. RAM is not that expensive and if you are willing enough you can install it yourself.

Jen

Chilling_Silence
07-10-2002, 05:20 PM
you can easily pick up 128MB for under a hundred buck, depending on the type!

chantillylace
07-10-2002, 05:42 PM
no i havnt managed to disable microsoft works only have unchecked it in the start up menu

chantillylace
07-10-2002, 05:45 PM
hi where is the win key and its only that i have this patch of previous page at the bottom of the screen left when webshots or incredimail
it is above the task bar i dont think this will fix my problem will it

chantillylace
07-10-2002, 05:46 PM
hi again
just have a question about this memory problem when this square gets left behind i just move it out of the way down the bottom of the screen does this matter

Chilling_Silence
07-10-2002, 05:51 PM
did you try:
Winkey+D
???

Chilling_Silence
07-10-2002, 05:52 PM
Ooopps, soz, didnt see the post. Its on the keyboard! down by Ctrl and Alt!

chantillylace
07-10-2002, 06:16 PM
hi no i havnt is this better than removing that silly left over box

Jen C
07-10-2002, 08:13 PM
Chantillylace,

The Winkey looks like a flag, it is between the CTRL and the ALT key on the left (same as flag on right) on the very bottom row on the keyboard. Hold the Winkey down and tap the D key once, and then tap again to change between windows and desktop.

Don't give up, you have done very well to clear your startup list and free up your PC's resources, even if the "silly left over box" is still being a pain in the butt!

Jen

SoniKalien
07-10-2002, 09:41 PM
This is becoming a Legacy... :)

sorry, please continue...

Jen C
07-10-2002, 10:17 PM
Time for a thread summary I think :D

You have helped your PC out by reducing the startup items (well done!), but your original problem remains. A lot of people have suggested that lack of memory (RAM) is a likely culprit. Take your PC and the motherboard manual back to where you purchased it from, or the nearest computer shop and ask for more RAM to be added. Another stick of 128MB would be helpful especially if you like webshot type programs. This should fix your problems. If you are unhappy with your intergrated video card, this would also be the time to have a new one added.

Good luck!

Jen :D

chantillylace
08-10-2002, 07:08 AM
yes i have sorted out alot thanks heaps to all who have helped
this is a wonderful place to go when your not sure like me :)

SoniKalien
08-10-2002, 11:16 AM
I'm in the opinion that ram is not the cause, and adding more will not achieve anything.

Been mulling this over I have, and I reckon it's a dodgy piece of software.

Susan B
09-10-2002, 12:57 PM
> I'm in the opinion that ram is not the cause, and adding more will not achieve anything.

> Been mulling this over I have, and I reckon it's a dodgy piece of software.

I read in a PC Internet mag yesterday that Webshots has spyware in it.

Need I say any more?

judexy
10-10-2002, 08:11 AM
hi there
what can spyware do to my computer, and yes a had a brief look at the magazine about it, do you think this might be causing the problem i have with the square piece left over on my desktop when it changes see previous posts

chantillylace
14-10-2002, 07:41 PM
hi have you any ideas as to what is cuasing this left over piece of screen on my desktop and would webshots be causing it

Rod ger
14-10-2002, 08:28 PM
Now that you have your programs down to a reasonable level, try going through and disabling all of them except Explorer and Systray restart. How is the screen now? If it is still a problem we will have to look elsewhere, if not enable each of your startup programs one by one restarting the computer each time until you have isolated the offending program.

SoniKalien
14-10-2002, 09:23 PM
Ok you have shared memory right?

When a program loads, windows trys to put it in your physical memory, however if there is not enough room, it'll put it in virtual memory, which is a file (swap file it's called) on your hard drive. But whenever Windows needs to access the program, it has to put it in physical memory, and get rid of something else. (Hey guys Im trying to be simplistic! :p)

Anyway, it's spyware, which means that it has a hidden piece of software running possibly all the time, using resourses. Now it being spyware, usually means it is also poorly written software.

In a nutshell, it has been written so that the "spy" part of it is loaded into a certain area of physical memory. Unfortunately, that specific part of memory just so happens to be used by the video card.

Verdict: uninstall webshots and see if that helps.

roofus
14-10-2002, 09:55 PM
Don't know about that SoniKalien. From recollection shared video-cards have a seperate memmory address to access the RAM, I don't think its possible for a software programme to go and blonk its bum right in the middle of it.

SoniKalien
14-10-2002, 10:43 PM
OK maybe not exactly, but possibly something close. I've had similar problems with shared memory video and crappy software.

chantillylace
15-10-2002, 07:19 AM
hi im just a newbie and i wish i could fix this problem my computer is only 8 months old or so and i havnt had this problem before someone mentioned updating drivers to me but i dont know where to find the right info

Clueless
15-10-2002, 08:45 AM
i'm going to post a couple of things i am cutting and pasting from another site computerfuture in chch (http://www.computerfuture.co.nz/hardware.asp?ID=1) which is the first place i looked. It might not be the best value but it is a guide.
With only 128 meg of RAM your machine has no room to breath.. tidying will help, so will more room.

128Mb 168pin SDRAM DIMM - PC-133 Legend (A Grade) (Lifetime Warranty) (Note: This RAM will also run at PC-100 - it is backwards compatible)
$60.00

256Mb 168pin SDRAM DIMM - PC-133 Legend (A Grade) (Lifetime Warranty)
$75.00

512Mb 168pin SDRAM DIMM - PC-133 Legend (A Grade) (Lifetime Warranty)
$159.00

Clueless
15-10-2002, 09:14 AM
if your computer is only 8 months old, chances are you could throw all the RAM you could afford at it, and it will make full use of it, you may have to open it up to see how many slots you have for the RAM. Untill you do you are alwayas going to have performance problems. I'm running a mere 256 meg of RAM on each of my machines here, most of that is in use on the '98SE machine which is currently doing the massive tasks of 3 windows in my webbrowser, Outlook Express, NAV, inCD, and all the standbys like volume control.

godfather
15-10-2002, 09:23 AM
Not sure now that ram will fix it, I have observed this on my new machine (2 g pentium 4, 512 Meg DDR ram. MX460 graphics card)

In my case the cause is obvious, it relates to software. When I have been running the tv tuner software it sometimes leaves behind a section of the screen just where the TV screen window was.

Some software on your system will be displaying a dialogue box or something at the spot being left behind. Take note what program is doing this, then blame the software.

In my case the software has been patched to tun on XP, and its not perfect.

Even if you find the offending software, your only cure may be to try and get a later version of it

Rod ger
15-10-2002, 12:32 PM
Hi
Have you checked out your software yet?(see my previous post)