PDA

View Full Version : Time out errors

Mandy Fisher
04-10-2002, 09:25 PM
Why is it that when I visit one particular website I continuously get told I have a time out error and it asks me if I want to de-bug? I click on yes and five minutes later I get the same message?

Jen C
04-10-2002, 10:19 PM
What website and what browser.

Heather P
04-10-2002, 10:33 PM
It could be one of a number of reasons. De-bug means it could be a server-side scripting language with bad code and your browser might be set to de-bug things when it runs into bad code.

Client side scripting is normal web pages written in HTML. You send a request for the page, the server says "Yes, certainly" and fires it down to you for your browser to open and run.

Server side scripting is advanced web pages written in something like ColdFusion, ASP or PHP. You send a request for the page, the server says "Yes, I have it. Wait a second whilst I send it to a second server to put it together", the second server reads a database for results, runs a calculation or whatever and returns it to the first server. The page is then sent to your browser in HTML to open and run.

If the person who wrote the page didn't error check properly - there are problems.

Mandy Fisher
04-10-2002, 11:03 PM
the website is Coronation street -

godfather
04-10-2002, 11:19 PM
That site gave a script error here too, so its not your system. Its just poor programming, much like the series itself?

Mandy Fisher
04-10-2002, 11:23 PM
ha ha ha!
I was waiting for someone to comment on good old Coro street, I am a devoted fan although not that impressed with the website!

Heather P
04-10-2002, 11:29 PM
When I was little we got a TV. The one program that we were Not Allowed to Watch was Coronation Street. According to Dad we would get hooked into a soap and there would go Tuesday and Thursday evenings (This, of course, was pre-video days).

Even now, many years later, the theme music is enough to make me reach for the off switch in a panic.

Obvious moral of the story - brainwashing in formative years works!

godfather
04-10-2002, 11:30 PM
Didn't have to wait long either. Is Ena Sharples still going? Or Minnie whatsit?

Like watching paint dry...........but paint is more exciting! Its banned here (but no need to enforce it, nobody likes it anyway)

Mandy Fisher
05-10-2002, 12:41 PM
Im far too young to remember Ena Sharples etc!!! Coro St is very different these days and much more up to date with reality. You should watch it and I guarantee you will get hooked!

Ten years ago on my big OE I visited Coro St and had a beer in the Rovers Return it was great.

Each to their own I guess...

godfather
05-10-2002, 12:45 PM
It wouldnt be so bad if you could understand the accents.....

Graham L
05-10-2002, 04:06 PM
Is Coronation Street something like The Archers?

grandad w
05-10-2002, 05:34 PM
Are there Realy !!!! folk out there as old as Me!!!!

GW