PDA

View Full Version : internet explorer downloader is lame

TheBOKE
04-10-2002, 03:48 PM
i recently went to www.nvidia.com to download their latest drivers. i used getright to download them and whn i tried to run them they were corrupted. after looking at the download page a little closer i realised that you arent allowed to use a download manager to download them. yet whenever i try to download a large file with internet explorers downloader it exits after about one hour. its getting really annoying because at the time i had had my computer connected to a friends who downladed it and sent it to me. but i need a permanent way to stop internet explorers downloader quitting. thanks

tweak\'e
04-10-2002, 04:11 PM
ie downloader quiting is proberly more to with the sending site and your (possibley poor) net connection.

i use a download app (flashget) for everything includeing nvida drivers.

a couple of things to be carefull of with download apps-

rollback, make sure its on and has a decent amount compared to your net connection. this is due to the last bit of info tends to get corrupted as the modem/site dissconcts. roll back deletes the last little bit of data off the file (hopefully all of the courpt data. high speed connections need a larger roll back amount.

some antivirus programs can interfere with the download corupting it (get a decent antivirus)

if you get dissconnected, stop the download before redailing. (forces a rollback)

cut down on the amount of splits you have running. each split has a bit of overhead so on poorer connections you can get better download speed with fewer splits.

watch out for w@#$ sites that keep the same filename for different vers of the program. with mirrors you can be downloading to different vers as one progrram corrupting it.

for problem sites set it to use no splits and no mirrors ie single connection off the one site.

Susan B
04-10-2002, 04:27 PM
Never heard of this one before. Can you give us some more details of what version of IE you have and what OS?

Does it always quit after one hour or does the time vary? If it is the same each time either your ISP is throwing you off for some reason, or you have a setting somewhere to disconnect you.

Out of interest, in IE go to Tools>Options>Connections>click on your ISP>Settings>Advanced and remove the two ticks in there if there are any. Click OK all the way out.

Unfortunately you are going to have to download something for an hour to see if this makes any difference. :-(

Other people may have suggestions too.

CYaBro
04-10-2002, 04:54 PM
I use Netpumper for downloads.
Good program as can pause & resume downloads etc

www.netpumper.com

-=JM=-
04-10-2002, 05:05 PM
I've had a lot of trouble with the dets recently as well. As have some others that I know......... oh well I'll grab them tonight :D

phillip pond
04-10-2002, 05:14 PM
don't get gozilla, its a spyware
get adaware