PDA

View Full Version : Web Design Resolution

technogs
04-10-2002, 11:53 AM
Hi I have just help create the Hamilton Boys' High School Website(www.hbhs.school.nz). We designed it with a resolution of 600x800 dpi, when I viewed it on another resolution 1024x800 dpi (I think) every thing was screwed up.

Any suggestions about what we can do to fix it. JavaScript may be ?????????

Thanks

antmannz
04-10-2002, 12:43 PM
How do you mean "screwed up"?

Are you referring to the red background images at the bottom left and right? or the way the rightmost frame expands horizontally and extends beyond its background image?

Those probs are occuring due to the multiple nested frameset statements. The way the code is set out says left frame = x pixels, middle frame is %age of window, right frame is %age of window.

Looks like the quickest way to fix it is to alter this line:<frameset cols="*,22%"> to<frameset cols="*,140">or something similar.

The best way to fix it is to alter the page so that there is only one frameset statement, ala<frameset cols="138,*,140"> or redo the page using either a table (easy) or stylesheet (not quite as easy).

Mike
04-10-2002, 12:48 PM
What about it is all screwed up? I'm currently looking at the page in both 1024x768 and 800x600, and the only thing that I can see that makes it look slightly screwed up is that the content in the middle is stretched across the page, and that the "corner" type images are not in the corner.

Firstly you may want to remove those corner images, as even on 800x600 they may not always be in the corner, unless you can set them to only display in the corner - probably by using layers - or you could make them display in the top corners rather than the bottom corners.

Or you could just set everything to a specific distance across the page - make your tables/frames a specific width, so that it'll always display as 800x600, even if it's viewed on a bigger screen.

HTH

Mike.

Mike
04-10-2002, 12:52 PM
> The best way to fix it is to alter the page so that
> there is only one frameset statement,
> ala <frameset cols="138,*,140"> or redo the
> page using either a table (easy) or stylesheet (not
> quite as easy).

Probably a better way than "<frameset cols="138,*,140">" would be to set a specific range for the "*", and then create a new frame on the right with an empty page so that the viewable page will always be 800x600. For example:

<frameset cols="138,520,140,*">

then the page will display at about 800px wide, and if the screen is wider than that, it'll use the empty page attached to the "*" to fill the rest of the screen.

It would be better though to use tables instead of frames for the page.

Mike.