PDA

View Full Version : School PC Network - Application server and thin clients

desperatelyseekinghelp!
04-10-2002, 12:50 AM
Seeking advise regarding the specs and price range for a server to just run basic applications (microsoft office, kids pics, etc,..) in a lab type set up, using approx. 30 PCs as basically dumb terminals.
The school is already networked with 2 PCs in each classroom and now we want to set up a 'digital classroom'. Of course the budget is limited and all the PCs are old donated dungers! Hence the move to running all the applications from a server.
Really just after some good practical advise before I go talking (unarmed!) to vendors.

robo
04-10-2002, 07:20 AM
I haven't used terminal server a lot, but it if it going to do all the thinking for 30 PCs I suspect they are going to want to sell you the biggest beast in the shop with more memory than last year's winner of Mastermind.

You are on a hiding to nothing on this, unless you can find someone who has already done it. Personally, I would suspect that it's going to be tough to make it go regardless.

There must be a rule of thumb for Ram in the server per client PC? At 32Mb each, times 30 is about 1Gb.

Hopefully someone else here has more experience than I.
robo.

Mike
04-10-2002, 08:38 AM
What are the specs of the "donated dungers" - it may be more realistic (cost wise) to run these seperately (by spending the money on fixing them up a little), rather than as dumb terminals.

Mike.

honeylaser
04-10-2002, 10:03 AM
Terminal Server is a component of W2k, so the initial purchase of that (provided you buy under MS OLP) is RRP (Academic) $309.68 + GST

Terminal server CALs are RRP (Academic) $97.80 + GST each. But you don't need to worry about those if your dumb machines have either XP or 2k installed, as the client OS also includes the TS CAL on each.

You may need between 32 & 128MB Ram on each to run TS, depending on who you ask.. and your Terminal Server needs approx 1024MB to run 5 concurrent TS sessions.. so do the numbers :)

TS is much better for schools, I feel.. as you can dumb the machines down as much as you like, and eliminate the risk of that 9 year old kid deleting all the important files, or installing that .exe. Much better for sweeping network software upgrades as well.

honeylaser
04-10-2002, 10:12 AM
You could go for something like an HP TC2100/2110 which has a max 1.5GB Ram, P4 2.0Ghz Ultra 3 SCSI w/ 18GB HDD (standard) for around $3k + GST (and not forgetting the extra RAM). They're pretty reliable and heaps of schools have purchased them.

Or.. the IBM X205 P4 2.0Ghz 18GB SCSI (standard) for about $3.5k