PDA

View Full Version : mouse interference w/ sound

loser
04-10-2002, 12:03 AM
as per my last post I was looking for a software guitar tuner, and found one at the site suggested.
So I run the app and I see something kinda strange, wondering if someone can shed some light...
There is a monitor thing that displays the "measured frequency" from the mic input.
There seems to be constant noise of about 20Hz. Question a) is this normal?
When I move the mouse, or click a button, the noise level jumps to about 2400Hz. Question b) is THIS normal?

This is with nothing plugged into to mic, same results when the guitar is plugged in.

Why would it do this? would it be noise from the bus?
I wouldn't think it's cable noise, because the mouse and keyboard sockets are at the top and the cords curve around the left hand side (if faced from back), and the sound cords are about halfway down and curve to the right, so there is no cross over and at the closest point they are about 15cm away from each other.

Anyone willing to run the program on their system and compare results?
minituner (http://www.hitsquad.com/smm/programs/MiniTuner/)

Danger
04-10-2002, 12:42 AM
loser, as a matter of interest, would you by chance have zone alarm installed on your pc? I fitted a game controller with mic and headset and whenever I moved my mouse you could actually hear the pointer on screen "scraping" across the open page. Also had poor sound qaulity and static coming from the speakers. After uninstalling and reinstalling many times the game controller and programs like Roger Wilco and Media Player and any other sound program that was affected I discovered after doing step by step start ups that the problem was a conflict with Zone Alarm and a vxd. I found out this was a known issue with Zone Alarm. I uninstalled Zone Alarm and now use Sygate Personal Firewall and the problem was immediatly resolved. Strange but true. And not all the Zone Alarm files were uninstalled on removal, had to hunt some of them out and manually delete them.

loser
04-10-2002, 01:09 AM
now that IS interesting because yes I do....

what sort of mobo/sound etc do you have?
is it a gigabyte mobo w/ integrated via sound like me?

I don't seem to have the other problems that you describe though.
Do you know if the problem has been fixed with the latest update of zone alarm or not?
Also, what files did you have to manually delete?

Thanks for that. I'll have to experiment a bit tomorrow, after my 9am-12 "signals, systems and information" lab @uni.... somewhat ironic i guess.

Danger
04-10-2002, 01:49 AM
Umm...sorry loser, I'm a bit of a novice really. If you can tell me where to find the info on what motherboard etc I have I will gladly look it up. From my motherboard booklet it says it is a VIA Apollo Pro 133 chipset and it also says On board AC97 Sound. Is that relevant to what you are asking?
I had no problems with Zone Alarm 2.6 but tried Outpost and found that too hard for me to set up correctly so uninstalled that and downloaded the new Zone Alarm that is available now. That is the one that caused the problems with my sound programs and created the noisy mouse affects.
I found that after deleteing ZA with its uninstall program that I still had ZA files on my start up menu and also I seem to remember within the diagnostic start up procedure. I ended up doing a search for files and folders to do with ZA and just deleted everything I could find that seemed to be ZA related. I still think there is one on my startup programs check boxes that I can't get rid of :(

loser
04-10-2002, 02:08 PM
sweet as,
cheers for that.

loser
05-10-2002, 02:52 AM
i rid my system of zonealarm, now instead of mouse noise on my mic input, I have no firewall AND mouse noise on my mic input...
bummer.

Danger
05-10-2002, 04:00 AM
Yeah, bummer dude. But are you sure that you have got rid off all posible traces off ZA? If you are, try doing what I did, do a systamatic startup loading each component manually until you isolate what is causing the noise, then search the microsoft site or even google for a solution, which will probably take you to the MS site anyway. Thats where I discovered ZA was causing my problems. Try Sygates Personal Firewall instead of ZA. No I'm not trying to plug it, just I spent time trying many different ones including ZA, outpost, and Tiny and I find Sygate the easiest to get along with without any problems popping up. Good luck, and keep us informed how you get on.

loser
06-10-2002, 12:57 AM
just to let you know, i've got it fixed....
uninstalled the driver i was using (the latest via sound one) and let windows pick up the sound card again, then got the driver off the windows update site. Seems to be much more stable, as it fixed the mouse interference (I can now tune my bass guitar YAY!) and I THINK it's fixed the random boot up crashes I was having (fingers crossed). I'm wondering now if it was the driver that's helped fry my left sound channel now!
Thanks for your suggestions along the way...!