PDA

View Full Version : Internet banking

ssssss
03-10-2002, 07:28 PM
Can someone tell me the easiest way to make a one-off payment from my bank account to someone elses account with a different bank. One would think this would be a simple matter with modern technology and internet banking, but both BNZ and PSIS say it can't be done with their systems. Is there a way that I don't know about please? Bye the way I don't come from london, I just get dissapointed with a login system that forgets my user name and password every time I log in, and makes it necessary for me to reregister for the umff time, using a new name. - Stephen

Heather P
03-10-2002, 07:34 PM
The system will remember you if you accept a cookie. If you are cookie free you don't have to re-register, just login.

As far as banking goes I believe Bank Direct offer "virtual cheques" for this (although I haven't actually used them).

If your bank doesn't ask them to provide it. If enough customers ask then they may look at developing this service.

Mike
03-10-2002, 09:02 PM
Some banks offer "Virtual Cheques" which you can use to make one-off payments. I bugged my band (National Bank) for virtual cheques, and they recently introduced them - ask your bank enough and they might just do it, as many of the other banks are now doing it.

What login system is fogetting your user name? PressF1 will remember it if you've got cookies enabled in your internet settings. If you're meaning banks though, some banks don't make it possible to remember login names etc. for added security.

Mike.

Susan B
03-10-2002, 09:07 PM
I use Bank Direct virtual cheques all the time. I think ANZ offer a similar service as well by another name but I haven't used theirs. Not too sure but WestpacTrust might also be another one.

So yes, it is certainly possible and very convenient. Maybe BNZ and PSIS need to update their systems.

Vince
03-10-2002, 10:00 PM
The National Bank allows one off payments now.
re logging in, I assume you meant here at PressF1, if you are using IE6 you will have to either lower your internet security setting, or you can specifically allow (or disallow) one or more web sites to view the cookies that they have left on your system by opening 'Internet Options' choosing the 'Privacy' tab and clicking the 'Edit' button at the bottom right. Just type in the URL. vince

beatnink
03-10-2002, 10:09 PM
Kiwibank offers a nice flexible option to set up a one-off payment that you can then also save for recurring payments.

Just be careful with Internet banking, because if someone gets your user ID and password they can use this feature to pay themselves out of your accounts. Kiwibank has a reasonably indemnity clause for this but other banks such as the BNZ may leave you completely out of pocket if they feel that your user ID and password has been exposed because of not being careful on the Internet including opening emails from people that you don't know.

-=JM=-
03-10-2002, 11:04 PM
>>>I bugged my band (National Bank) for virtual cheques, and they recently introduced them

Well that makes two of us :D
I was all prepared to get a KiwiBank account just for that reason.

Mike
03-10-2002, 11:10 PM
well its a lot easier for trademe purchases, isn't it! :D

Mike.

ssssss
03-10-2002, 11:11 PM
Thanks everybody for the useful replies - stephen

sam m
04-10-2002, 12:06 AM
I use ANZ and I have options to either Pay Bills so I can pay Power Co., Telecom, Credit Card co. etc or I can Pay Anyone which means I can pay well...................anyone. As long as I have a bank account number ( I think only NZ) then I can put money into anyone's acct. (sorry I didn't win Lotto so don't ask.) I naturally assumed that all banks had this facility.
As for security then obviously follow common sense rules but the way I figure it the bank will only tranfer to valid bank account numbers anyway so even if someone (stupidly) did access my details and paid themselves then it will be traceable.

sam m

Peter H
04-10-2002, 09:40 AM
Westpac lets you pay any & everyone. Also student loans & tax. Very usefull for Trade Me deals.
Bye

Susan B
04-10-2002, 09:52 AM
Sounds like BNZ and PSIS are definitely behind the times.

Those who bank with them ought to start writing letters to them threatening to switch to another bank if they don't get their act together.

It worked for Mike didn't it? :D

Mike
04-10-2002, 09:55 AM
> It worked for Mike didn't it? :D

well that might be just because they didn't want me to take all my money to another bank <koff> ;)

Mike.

Danger
04-10-2002, 10:00 AM
Yep, ASB do all the above. I do all my banking and money exchanges, bills etc online now, all I need is a slot in my pc to deposit my received cheques into and I wont ever need to see a bank again, or buy postage stamps.

Susan B
04-10-2002, 10:05 AM
>>> all I need is a slot in my pc to deposit my received cheques into

Connect your modem to your a: drive.

Mine works splendidly! :D

Danger
04-10-2002, 10:14 AM
Connect your modem to your a: drive.

Thanks, I'll try that. Looking at the size of the slot, I asume I don't need to use an envelope? Does it spit out a receipt?

Susan B
04-10-2002, 10:20 AM
Best not to use envelopes unless you want paper jams. Don't need a stamp either.

Haven't had a receipt for a cheque for years - since they started accepting cheques through the a: drive in fact. ;-)

Heather P
04-10-2002, 11:18 AM
>and I wont ever need to see a bank again, or buy postage stamps.

Bank Direct. Pre-paid envelopes!

I met some good security the other day with them. I needed to transfer a rather large amount to someone. Rather than risk virtual cheques I rang the 0800 number and asked them to do it (it turned out I was over the daily limit on this one anyway). Due to the amount in question I was put through the mill on identifying myself - and it was checked with a supervisor. Then they asked for a contact number for the recipient to double check the account number it was going to.

Was I offended? Absolutely not! I was definitely impressed with their security measures.

John Boy
04-10-2002, 08:48 PM
BNZ did upgrade there internet banking about 3 months or so ago, however did not enable the user the 'pay anyone' feature. I enquired about it but the reply was that they didn't trust the user to put in the correct details. Excuse me ! I have had more stuff ups with them than I have ever had with my own banking. They, often leaving me without access to funds. I have now changed to Kiwi Bank and find it extremly good

Elephant
04-10-2002, 11:41 PM
I use ANZ here.

I can transfer money to anyone either as a one off payment or on a regular basis. I would just need the payees bank account number.

parry
05-10-2002, 12:54 AM
Hi I am surprised your having so much trouble but banks are like that sometimes. When logged in for IB then select the New Bill Payment option then there is a link on the page displayed "Click here for advice on setting up a new bill payee" and follow the procedure for adding a new Bill Payment. This can be done either through their telephone banking or an email message thru their secure email.

I would lean towards email myself but up to you. I presume you are after an individual payee rather than the listed options of business payees so just put the details like name & a/c # etc.

When this has been set up the payee will be in the list of bill payees to select. Why isnt this easier... er dunno.

cheers
parry

Heather P
05-10-2002, 10:49 AM
Setting up a new payee costs money - $1 if you do it on line with Bank Direct, a bit more if you do it by phone.

I presume, not actually having done it, that virtual cheques don't attract this charge.

The best way to pay the regulars is still direct debit.

Mike
05-10-2002, 10:51 AM
Virtual cheque on National Bank costs 25c - I guess the same as a typical cheque fee.

Mike.

rayonline
06-10-2002, 12:50 AM
the cheapest option. goto the persons bank and deposit in person. its transaction free. last time i went into ASB, I am not a customer there ... deposit in person. thats it. no phonecalls, no chatting, no internet use, no sending stamps, no chq writing or fee, no banking fees of any sort.

My bank told me set it up $4 or so .. plus 25c per transaction. this is calling them - they set up then i can use the web for itl.

Mike
06-10-2002, 07:46 AM
Virtual cheque at 25c a time is by far cheaper than having to drive into town, find a park (and probably pay 20c for it), go into the bank and make a deposit.

There was no setup fee for virtual cheque on National Bank - it's there for all internet banking customers.

Mike.

Heather P
06-10-2002, 10:44 AM
>the cheapest option. goto the persons bank and deposit in person

...and you LIKE bank queues??????????

Had to deposit some cash the other week. The teller apologized for the wait. I assured him it was no problem - but that I had needed to leave a Large Dog tied to the post at the cashflow machine due to a lack of other tie up points.

taxboy4
06-10-2002, 02:41 PM
ASB is brilliant - you can set up /alter new AP's, regular bill payments and do one off elctronics cheques - I used to have to ring the helpdesk a lot for AP's etc but now do it all on the net. Can't remember the last time I actually went to the bank and the only time i use a cheque now is at the supermarket a couple a days before pay day. I use it all the time for Trade me (over 30 trades and no problems).

I have never stuffed up my electronic cheques and cos its my dosh I'm SUPER careful with the details i enter as oppossed to the bank where each transaction is just another one.

Susan B
06-10-2002, 04:30 PM
>>> the cheapest option. goto the persons bank and deposit in person

Not for me it isn't. I pay nothing for my virtual cheques or any other transactions with Bank Direct. If I go to the other person's bank it's a trip in the car/bus unless it's a WestpacTrust account and petrol/bus fares ain't free.

Besides, I like internet banking. It means I get to play on my PC. That's far better than standing in queues in banks and if I want I don't even have to be dressed. :D

rayonline
06-10-2002, 05:31 PM
just send a chq then ...
my bank charges me $4 to set up then 25c per transaction.
All banks are just 30min walk from my residence.
2 other is 15mins walk.

Ray

parry
06-10-2002, 08:40 PM
There is no right/wrong answer to this topic as with most services it pays to shop around. For someone who has worked in a bank I find it quite interesting.

Rayonline is correct that depositing into the a/c holders bank will not incur charges to the person depositing since charges are paid by the a/c holder (in most cases) rather than collected against the person depositing. This was not always the case as clearance fees were once collected manually & you also didnt have the option of a "drop box".

Most banks charge a fee on any type of transaction - Internet or not, but depending upon other business you have with them these fees may be reduced or waived. Others charge standard fees for certain services regardless of the other business you have.

Internet banking is a very cheap channel for banks as theres no branch required. This means all the associated costs are avoided (staff, rental, stationery etc) although has a higher setup cost for the infrastructure (large IT component) but pays off in the long run.

I feel most NZ banks are quite slow in embracing the Internet and it is certainly the way I prefer to bank. I havenít physically walked into a bank in a long time. Banks at first focused on Telephone Banking but are only now putting some much needed attention to Internet Banking although there is a disparity between some banks net services.

As far as virtual chqs go I really have no need for them. Paying by Direct Debit is free for the payer (at the moment anyway  ) but Credit Cards are the best form of payment. It costs me no transaction fees, gives me free credit for up to 6 weeks (if you pay off full balance), I get rewards (airpoints, cash back etc) and by paying the balance via direct debited I never have to worry about forgetting to pay the balance (& paying interest).

It may be time for PC World to do another survey of NZ banks and their Internet services.

Cheers
Parry

Susan B
06-10-2002, 09:37 PM
>>>It may be time for PC World to do another survey of NZ banks and their Internet services.

I bet that will be put on their "to do" list very soon, Parry. I've noticed that they keep a very close eye on the topics of interest on this forum for the mag. ;-) :D