View Full Version : "modem" was fast now it's going slow

03-10-2002, 02:40 PM
My standard modem was connecting at 33.6kbs I have recently removed it (and the driver ) to try out another modem I removed that modem and driver and put back my orignal modem and set it as standard it now connects at 9.6kbs can anyoe help me

I may have changed the settings or something like that


03-10-2002, 02:45 PM
Have a look in the FAQ, I think there's a topic in there that covers it. Are you using the same telephone cord/ same jack?



03-10-2002, 05:19 PM
yes it's connected on the same phone line same place in the computer, I havent flicked any of the switches/Jumpers all I can think is that it's something to do with software just hope I don't have to reinstall win95 to get it working properly

03-10-2002, 05:23 PM
Is it another phone/fax etc that you've added, i removed an old portable phone from my line and the speeds went from 36.4 to 48+ :o maybe that'll give u an idea...
Other wise play around in the modem settings in control panel
- David

03-10-2002, 05:28 PM
> put back my orignal modem and set it as standard it now
> connects at 9.6kbs can anyone help me

Did you load the drivers back for the original modem? Try deleting the modem, and let it find it again (unless its external or ISA). Then install the drivers.

If external or ISA, run any setup program that came with the modem, or install the appropriate drivers manually.

Rod ger
03-10-2002, 06:37 PM
Just a thought.
Check your COM Port speed in the WIN.INI file Windows default setting is 9600 . It may somehow have reverted to this setting. With a 33.6 modem I would set it at 57600 don't forget to change the settings in the Control Panel\Modems\properties (maximum speed) too.

04-10-2002, 08:24 AM

I've reloaded windows 95 and set the modem as a standard modem, before I reloaded I tryed increasing the com3 port speed (which is what my isa modem is set as) to a faster speed , I think it was 115200
I just checked the port speed after I reloaded and it was set to 9600, I also checked the maximum speed under modem settings, so yes it's working now but I don't know what went wrong but I do know a windows reload fixed it