PDA

View Full Version : No emulation bootable CD's

SaAB
03-10-2002, 02:36 PM
How do you do this? How does it work? What systems will it work on?
Any help appreciated, I would like to know these things before I try and make a coaster, thanks.

Chilling_Silence
03-10-2002, 03:35 PM
Only done it once, but never used the CD.
What OS are you currently running and what software do you use for burning. It shoudl work for any OS, as it's booting before the OS has a chance to load.

SaAB
03-10-2002, 04:10 PM
Windows 98SE, Roxio Easy CD Creator 5 Platinum. It has an option under CD Creator for no emulation bootable CD's, but I don't know anything about it like do you need an image file as with emulation? As to what systems does it run on, I was meaning if your bios is up to date enough to boot off emulation CD's will it boot off no emulation CDs.
Thanks.

Chilling_Silence
03-10-2002, 04:13 PM
Sounds like you know more than me.... See what somebody else has to say. Let me know how it goes though, Might come in handy some day.

Cheers

Chilling_Silence

Merlin
03-10-2002, 04:45 PM
Read this (http://www.thetechguide.com/win2kbootcd/)

Chilling_Silence
03-10-2002, 04:50 PM
Bit out of date... SP3 is out now!

Graham Petrie
03-10-2002, 05:08 PM
No, Merlin is right - sp3 is out, but the information on that page is relevant.

If you use no emulation, you need to have the bootsector from a disc that will boot it to an OS eg a win 2000 or XP disc.

Basically, if you choose floppy emulation, it will boot as if your CD drive is your floppy drive.

Hard disc emulation will boot the PC as if the CD is yor C:\ drive (active partition.

And no emulation is for use in a situation like when you create a boot disc for win2000, NT or XP and you copy the bootsector from an existing win2000, NT or XP disc

SaAB
04-10-2002, 04:10 PM
Thanks for that.

Merlin
05-10-2002, 10:39 PM
Use this information.

Create an iso file rather than burning to disk. Consequently the creation of the file is independent of software and any limitations imposed by CD Writer support by software is avoided.

Bart (http://www.nu2.nu/bootablecd/)

Also remember that not all CD drives will read a re-writable CD that is bootable.