PDA

View Full Version : Windows 2000 - Shutdown (or not?)

Miami Steve
03-10-2002, 03:01 PM
I am running a system that dual-boots to Win 2K Pro or Win 98SE. After shutting down my machine, I switch it off at the wall. When I switch the power back on, if I was previously using Win 2K, the PC will startup straight away. If I was using Win 98 when I shut down, I have to press the power button to startup. Is there any possibility of component damage from the power surge when not using the power button? Is there a BIOS setting somewhere that can circumvent this situation? Should I always just reboot to Win 98 and then shutdown?

mikebartnz
03-10-2002, 04:28 PM
In win2k are you sure you are shutting it down and not just sending it into suspend.

Chilling_Silence
03-10-2002, 04:33 PM
I've never turned off at the wall, stops that problem.

What happens if you goto shut down in win2K, let it shut down but dont turn it off at the wall. Do you need to press the power button on the PC before turning it off at the wall??? Advanced Power Management may need to be enable (APM).
To check:
Right click on your desktop and goto properties.
Select screen saver.
Down the bottom will be Power...
Select the tab labelled APM or the like
Check to see if its enabled or not.

Cheers

Chilling_Silence

Miami Steve
03-10-2002, 04:34 PM
It certainly seems as if it is only in suspend mode, but I definitely use the Shut Down option. In case it helps, I discovered that if after shutting down from 2k, I press the power button on, then press it off again after a few seconds, the PC will stay powered off until the power button is pressed again.

Cheers

Miami Steve
03-10-2002, 04:39 PM
Hi,

When I shut down from win2k, the drive powers down, the monitor loses a signal and the power light on the PC goes out. As I mention in my other reply, powering on then off again forces it to be shutdown. As for powering off at the wall ... I am even more inclined to do it when I know that a reconnection of power after a power cut can start my PC without my knowledge. I like to think that OFF means OFF!

As far as I am aware, there is nothing in APM that should be waking it up (and doesn't that only work from suspend mode anyway?).

Thanks