PDA

View Full Version : Windows 98-SE Explorer goes on Work to Rule

CapnRon
03-10-2002, 11:23 AM
I have W98 SE, and Windows explorer slows down the more I use it. Sometime just going from one file in a directory to another in the same directory can take up to 20 seconds! I can do the same job on this same computerís HD, but from another on the network, in a fraction of the time. In addition, if I simply click on the next directory I would like the program to display, it jumps down to the new one, jumps back to the old one then jumps down to the new one again, all taking excess time.

It seems to manifest itself, the deeper I go into the directory tree.

It is possible it started after a virus infestation that was cleaned up some time ago, but am not sure.

The computer is a D-733, 512m RAM, 40gb HD, W-98-SE, which is otherwise running fine.

tweak\'e
03-10-2002, 06:12 PM
with 512meg of ram and win98se you will proberly need to tweak your cache settings. cacheman www.outertech.com is a favorite.

CapnRon
04-10-2002, 09:34 AM
Thanks fo the thought, Which and where?

Note: the PC next to it on the network, is a C366, with half the RAM, A Quarter the HD, Etc and it works just fine. I'm to the point where I will reload W98SE, however I would like to delete any and all Explorer before doing this.

If I want to work on this hard drive I now use W/Explorer on the computer next to it.

Typo on the Processor it is a C-733. and I use Norton 2001 Antivirus which seems to slow everything down as well. Many thanx.

Susan B
04-10-2002, 10:34 AM
Might be time for a reformat. That fixes lots of things. :-)

Wrecker Jim
04-10-2002, 10:41 AM
How many folders/sub folders do you have in 'My Documents'? If you have more than around 100 folders it can seriously slow down your whole system (especially moving or deleting files).
The solution is to create a new folder in the root directory (call it something clever like 'Data') and move everything from 'My Documents' to the new folder.

CapnRon
04-10-2002, 11:22 AM
Actually reformatting is becomming more of an option :D)

I only have 18 directories in My Docs, however there are over 3,000 files in them.