PDA

View Full Version : PLASE HELP - network & mouse troubles...

fergie
03-10-2002, 09:47 AM
hi, i got a abit of a problem.
My 2 PC's are networked, and one of them, when u plug in the Network cable, and boot up, the computer freezes after about 1min of no activity from the mouse, but when u take the cable out, everything is fine - please help, cos i can't do much while its like this.
Check out my previos thrad for more info : http://pressf1.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=25708

fergie
03-10-2002, 09:52 AM
NOTE:i'm using WIN98se on both PC's

-=JM=-
03-10-2002, 10:20 AM
This is what happens.

It's because it's searching for the network that it should be connnected to. If you want it to boot up quick with out the network cable you could disable the network card in the Device Manager.

fergie
03-10-2002, 10:24 AM
If i do that though - i won't be able to connect to the network right?
I want to connect to the network though........

fergie
03-10-2002, 10:32 AM
i've had this and my other PC networked earlier (few days ago) with no problems, then a went to a Gaming party at my mates with a few other people, so i had to change the network settings there - and i also installed a few games, i had no problems there aswell, but as soon as i came home, and swicthed it on, without doing anything it froze - so i reset it, kept moving the mouse, and changed the network settings back to mine, and it still freezes.....

Babe Ruth
03-10-2002, 10:35 AM
fergie,

It sounds to me that your TCP/IP settings are incorrect for your own network after being modified for the LAN party you attended. It could be:

your IP address (but you said you changed it back to what it should be)
the subnet mask (for home this probably should be 255.255.255.0)
you may have set a default gateway (for home you may not have one - in which case leave blank)
you may have set up DNS server addresses (again for home you may not have a DNS server - leave blank)
you probably don't have WINS (shouldn't have for home - leave blank)

Check ALL the TCP & IP settings

You could remove TCP/IP altogether and then reinstall it (not preferred)

At this point I have nothing else... but please post back.

Cheers, Babe.

tweak\'e
03-10-2002, 10:41 AM
apart from checking all your network settings with a fine tooth comb and also any winows file/printer sharing, you might be best to post the details of the network settings on all (or a least 2) machines. unforunatly win98 networkng can be a right @#$ to fix at times.

ip address, network name, workgroup name, windows file sharing on/off, gateway settings, subnet mask etc

otherwise all i can suggest is remove all the network settings, protocols, etc and redo it all from scatch :( (just remember to disable/uninstall any firewall before you do so)

fergie
03-10-2002, 07:57 PM
ok,
i deleted all the my network settings on both PC's, and reinstalled them.
and the pc works fine :), no freezing after idle mouse....
so thats good
BUT, now, on my PC that had the mouse troubles, won't connect to the network.
In network neighbourhood (on both PC's) it finds both PC's on the network, BUT, when i go to transfer files (tht i have set as FULLY shared) from the PC (tht had teh Mosue prob) to my fine PC, it takes ages (4hours +) to transfer a small (200mb) file (this is what wot it says on time remaining - i've only left it for 20min) , before i had any problems before, this would only take a few minutes.
Also, when i go into MS-DOS prompt on my mouse prob PC, and type ping 192.168.0.2 (which is the PC that it connects to) it comes up request timed out for all 4 files, but when i type ping 127.0.0.1 it works fine,

please help

godfather
03-10-2002, 08:15 PM
So what is on 127.0.0.1? Thats not in the range of private network addys, if one of your machines has it you are indeed brave!

Private network addressing should be as follows:

You should use the following IP addresses from the InterNIC private IP network IDs:
10.0.0.x with a subnet mask of 255.0.0.0
or
172.16.0.x with a subnet mask of 255.240.0.0
or
192.168.0.x with a subnet mask of 255.255.0.0

This info courtesy of Microsoft

fergie
03-10-2002, 08:31 PM
i read this on the FAQ right here on PressF1:
This means the link is inactive, and you need to check that all the settings are set up correctly as documented above. If you get any other error messages, or you have checked and all of the settings are correct, try "ping 127.0.0.1"

This is a diagnostic check to ensure the TCP/IP protocol is installed correctly, and a valid network device is present. If the result for this is successful, then there could be a faulty link. Check all the cables are connected, and at each end of the cables, a light (most likely green) is showing on the connected device. If not, then you may have to post a specific question to the PressF1 site.

If the diagnostic is NOT successful, then try going back into the Network Control Panel, and selecting the TCP/IP -> "Your Network Card" and clicking "Remove".
Click OK, and restart. Then reinstall the TCP/IP protocol, following the same steps as the first time, and it may be successful. If not, then post a specific question to PressF1, as I cannot hope to cover every problem in this FAQ.

also, i'm transfer a file right now - it has been on 201 minutes left for like 20minutes......

godfather
03-10-2002, 08:40 PM
OK, but if you cant ping the 192.x addy, you cant transfer a file, its just sitting there cogitating.

Probably is a valid network device, just not set up right.

Why dont you post ALL the settings here for each machine, and see what help emerges.

Its quite likely that you will discover the missed setting (if any) when you do..

-=JM=-
03-10-2002, 10:34 PM
> If i do that though - i won't be able to connect to
> the network right?
> I want to connect to the network though........

soory fergie, I misread your question :8}

fergie
04-10-2002, 02:54 PM
ok, i'll post all teh details here - but first, i'll give u a brief outline of my problem again....
OK, i have to PC's on the network work, Fergus-Main (this is teh PC with no problems) and ALEX ( this is teh PC that had teh mnouse prob's, and the one i took to the LAN party)
OK, ALEX doesn't have the mouse problem anymore, but now, when i ping Fergus-Main from it, i get a request timed out on all 4 files, i can transfer a file from FERGUS-MAIN to ALEX with no problems....
FERGUS-MAIN, when i ping ALEX on this PC i get a positive result, all files are sent etc, however, when i go to transfer a file from ALEX to F-M, it doesn't work.....
Both pc's can see each otehr in Network neighbourhood (i'm using WIN98se on both PC's)

i'll post the settings soon

tweak\'e
04-10-2002, 03:07 PM
have a look here

http://www.wown.info/j_helmig/trouble.htm

http://www.wown.info/j_helmig/noping.htm

http://www.wown.info/j_helmig/netcheck.htm

http://www.wown.info/j_helmig/w98defpr.htm

Heather P
04-10-2002, 03:09 PM
Godfather, have I finally caught you out?

127.0.0.1 is a private address. It is used for local host on your own machine.

godfather
04-10-2002, 03:39 PM
Yep - Guilty as charged.

Mind was somewhere else at the time. Out of body experience??