PDA

View Full Version : blocked webpage

mara240
03-10-2002, 12:07 AM
Hi,

There is a block on a certain area of webpages so whenever i go to http://xtramsn.co.nz and then click on "people and chat" to open the link to the chatrooms i find that the page doesn't load but insted it says "The page cannot be displayed
The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings."etc

Can you please tell me how to get rid of the block so i can go in the chatrooms?

Thanks

-=JM=-
03-10-2002, 12:16 AM
Open up your HOSTS file in Notepad. Do a search for it.

It's located in C:\Windows in 9x or C:\windows\system32\drivers in XP (2000?)

Use the Edit|Find command to look for "MSN" or XTRAMSN. If there is an entry in there in the form.

127.0.0.1 MSN.com

or similar, then put a # in front of that line and save the file.

Chris Wilson
03-10-2002, 12:34 AM
what on earth would write
>127.0.0.1 MSN.com
into the hosts file?
?????????

mara240
03-10-2002, 12:40 AM
thank you so much! it works now and im finally a happy chatter! :D

-=JM=-
03-10-2002, 12:56 AM
> what on earth would write
> >127.0.0.1 MSN.com
> into the hosts file?
> ?????????

Some pre-packaged ones do. I got a HOSTS file from Smartin-Designs (IIRC?). I prefer to grab a large one and make adjustments than create my own.

I was wondering why I couldn't go and find out some info on JetStream through Xtra. 127.0.0.1 xtra.co.nz was the offending entry. In this case the creators of the hosts file were not from NZ but also decided to block it as well. They'd probably had too much spam from that domain or something.

The other way is that some people are just annoying ]:)

That reminds me. I should go throw some in on the computer downstairs: looneytunes.com; warnerbrothers.com; harrypotter.com ;)

*hears loud screaming* "Jerry why can't I play my games and watch my movies anymore"
me: oh well, you'll just have to get off the internet and let me visit the forums again. :)

........... grumbles off moaning about stupid 6 minute to load flash animations :(