PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix dailup

Rod ger
02-10-2002, 11:55 PM
Now that thousands of us have tried Knoppix I thought I would bring up the question of how to connect to the internet with it again.

I have sucessfully connected to my ISP (Paradise) for a split second, only to have Knoppix terminate the connection with the message:

Cannot open any of the following logfiles:
/var/log/syslog.ppp
/var/log/syslog
/var/log/messages

Incidentally after experimenting blindly(newbie) I managed to connect using the PAP setting and manually putting in the connection title and ph no. , after that close the screen and fill in your user name and password you should be able to get an "instant" connection!!

If anyone can help with the missing files I would be grateful.

I have looked(don't ask me how or where, I can't remember) and they don't appear to be there.

I'm sure I can't be the only one with this problem.

Kiwitas
03-10-2002, 01:19 AM
Hi Rod ger,

Are you using an External modem?

I think I saw something recently that Knoppix
requires one,but others will no doubt correct me if I'm wrong!

Cheers,Kiwitas,;-)

Rod ger
03-10-2002, 08:55 AM
Hi Kiwitas,
Internal 56K hardware. External only?? Seems a bit odd.

As I posted earlier I have sucessfully logged on to my ISP, but the problem seems to be that the system can't find the various files and so closes the connection. It seem to me to be a configuration problem. I have probably missed out a step in setting it up.

Thanks for the input

Graham L
04-10-2002, 03:26 PM
It will need to know the DNS server addresses, too.

Rod ger
04-10-2002, 08:55 PM
Tried that still does not work. Ive been trying a few searches but can't make much sense of what I'm reading. Guess you have to be a REAL geek to understand Linux, it's definatly not idiot proof!!

BarryMcQ
05-10-2002, 02:02 AM
Hi Rod ger,

Knoppix does require an external modem (at least this distribution does).
This is a because most unix boxes don't come with a built in modem (because they are normally servers).

You can get drivers for some internal modems now, but the main problem is that a large portion of these internal modems are Winmodems (cough cough). This means that they rely on part of the Windows operating system to function correctly. External modems are self contained devices.

I have of course stated the above in general terms. To update Knoppix with your modem drives would entail adding the required packages to your knoppix image and burning it to a new cd (if the drivers aren't already included).

Rod ger
05-10-2002, 10:57 AM
Thanks Barry,
It looks as though Linux is not quite ready for the average consumer to install yet. Not without a "Plain English" manual anyrate.

See also: http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/4/27377.html

Graham L
05-10-2002, 04:17 PM
Knoppix has the problem that it can't be configured to any great extent because it is a read-only system. I'm surprised it hasn't got the log files ... do a "df" command and see what "disks" are there ... I suspect there will be a ram disk which will hold the "/var" and possibly some of the "/etc" files, and they may not be immediately under the root "/" . Try "find / -name <filename>. Use "dmesg" and see if that gives you the booting up messages whch will show you what hardware has been detected.

I haven't tried it (still haven't bought the magazine) but I think it will probably handle the most common winmodems. Linux people still prefer external modems, but they are realists, and know that most computers are supplied with pseudo-modems. ;-)

Rod ger
05-10-2002, 06:26 PM
Hi Graham,
Under "Find" I can find var/log on the ramdisc but not the other subsequent files (syslog.ppp etc.).
The funny thing is the modem appears to go through all the handshaking and sounds as if it has logged on for an instant before I get the Exit message, so I had assumed it had been detected and was working.
I'll try and detect it as you've indicated.
From what I have seen Knoppix has the ability to save your settings to HD and I presume add them on restarting.