PDA

View Full Version : Jetstream Starter... is it worth it?

DangerousDave
02-10-2002, 07:31 PM
Hello world!
I'm considering getting jetstream starter and wondering if it is really worth parting with my hard earned cash, what sort of speeds do you get etc. what do you people think of the service, i like my internet but don't know if it's worth parting with several hundred dollers, lol i've just gone from the 33k to a 56k modem and am amazed by the speed difference, i suppose that'll keep me content for a few months ;)

Thanks for the ideas
- David

Crunn
02-10-2002, 08:00 PM
Beats 56K modems, not as impressive as the full system. If you are shovelling a lot of data either up or down, it will do. After all, you can get a 10Gig up/down limit with the right ISP. I can go a 2-3 Gig a month but would find it hard to get above - I am not a fan of online gaming, although you can get the full speed with the ISP servers, gratis. If you need high speed download only, think about satellite as an alternative (got that as well !). I think the limits for the full bandwidth are restrictive and financially motivated. I am still of a mind that Telecom grossly underestimated the potential and thus have to throttle things. The excuses they put out about being fair to all, etc., don't really hold water. They had the opportunity to install with overkill but didn't. As for the Pacific cables, etc., one reads that they still have ENORMOUS potential !!
On the whole, a reasonable, intermediate step.

Crunn

wotz
02-10-2002, 08:15 PM
Get it. You won't be sorry.

DangerousDave
02-10-2002, 09:02 PM
hmmmmm, i don't know, cos its gonna cost me at least 100 for the modem, 100 for the connection, and about 60 for the filters (whose idea was it to need a filter on every jack ;) ) its pretty expensive... but i see telecom is offering two months free, which might cancel some costs out :P

thanks for the ideas so far
- David

Disorder
02-10-2002, 09:25 PM
If you are into online gaming, and can stay under 5000M/ month.
It is very definitely worthwhile.

If you just casually surf and e-mail friends, I wouldn't bother changing from a 56k.

godfather
02-10-2002, 10:03 PM
The speed is about 4 x a dial up on average (16 kB/s) with bursts higher.

Internet congestion applies but not that much, seldom ever get sites below 9 kB/s.

It makes downloading things like XP SP1 (140 MB) a breeze, and as I have an external router it truly is "always on". You tend to use it more for things you would not bother with on dial up, as there is no connect time the way I have it set up. Use about 1 Gb per month, of which only 100-300Gb is international.

I use it for a living, so its a bit different for me.

Do give consideration to which connection type you have, and ifc you can afford a router it does give a good level of protection. Without one you need a good firewall as your system is wide open

-=JM=-
02-10-2002, 10:05 PM
You only need filters on the jacks which do have phones/fax plugged into them. Once you are using more than three (?) it becomes cheaper to get the proper installation with a splitter. The jack with only the modem/router does not need a filter.

If Peter Coleman comes along he'll tell you that you should get the proper installation anyway.

There is also a way to use one filter for the whole house ;)

Also DSE (http://www.dse.co.nz) have some Nokia Ni500s for $100

DangerousDave
02-10-2002, 10:35 PM
Thanks for the replys
I think i'll wait till telecom gives one of the free install specials and get it then, cos it is still pretty expensive, i hate to think what that price would get in the US of A, i bet somewhere in Korea would be T3 or some insane bandwidth extreme *sigh* bandwidth is so expensive in NZ :'(

- David

-=JM=-
02-10-2002, 10:49 PM
>>>*sigh* bandwidth is so expensive in NZ :'(

nope wrong, bandwidth in NZ is cheap (kinda). Why else when on the Xtra JetStream Starter 5000 plan are you allowed an unlimited amount of natioanl traffic.

The reason why internet connections are so cheap in the US and Korea and the like. Is because most of the traffic is national. Here in NZ most stuff is international traffic.

Billy T
02-10-2002, 11:35 PM
DSE sold out of Ni500's several weeks back now JM, and they are no longer listed in their on-line catalogue.

Unless you know something I don't, because I missed the last one in Auckland weeks ago. I wanted a spare!

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

-=JM=-
02-10-2002, 11:52 PM
You're right Billy :)

Though it was only yesterday that there were still some left in Invercargill and the like.

bk T
02-10-2002, 11:58 PM
Have you considered Xtra's Jetline Internet connection? In this package, you have the option to choose either Jetstart of Jetstream 500 at $99.00

If you don't download lots of mp3s, probably Jetstream 500 is a better choice as it is much faster than Jetstart. I have been using it (Jetstream 500) for months now and will not go back to dial up anymore.

bk

-=JM=-
03-10-2002, 12:18 AM
>>>If you don't download lots of mp3s, probably Jetstream 500 is a better choice as it is much faster than Jetstart

Isn't that a bit of a contradiction bk T. Sure it's faster, but if you download LOTS of mp3s. You will use up 500MB really, REALLY, quickly.

Chris Wilson
03-10-2002, 12:46 AM
I find it a matter of gentle tactfull self management to stay within my 10 gig quota.
OK, i'm on Cable, but from what i can see a cable-paradise connection has basicly the same rules as a jetstart-paradise connection, except that with JS you still get usage counted when pulling stuff of the file servers, and with cable you don't.

I won't live somewhere now where dial up is my only option for connection.

Peter Coleman
03-10-2002, 10:01 AM
Hi DD,you won't regret going to adsl,it is good,though still a tad expensive as far as I'm concerned(still they have to get Theresa Gattung's $1000,000 salary from somewhere,right.)As JM said,go for the full install if you can,and also watch what type of modem you get.External is best if you are over 3K from the telephone exchange,and make sure you can take any modem you get, back to where you bought it from,if you find it doesn't work(for whatever reason).Good luck and enjoy when you get it.

Peter

DavidW
03-10-2002, 12:48 PM
Check out ihug's Jet2000. I have it and wouldn't be without it! David

DangerousDave
03-10-2002, 05:04 PM
I've seen Maxnet and it looks good, www.maxnet.co.nz, slightly cheaper than most and no limits, Jetline looks good and at $100 a month is about $4 dearer than maxnet, which does add up over a year.... so maaaany decisions!!!
- David