PDA

View Full Version : Saving Video8 tapes to ?

Neil McC
02-10-2002, 02:27 PM
Hi,not too up with this subject,so comments please.Have a video camera that uses 8mm tapes.Thinking of upgrading to digital. Apart from copying all the tapes in my drawer to new smaller digitally recorded tapes with a new camera,which would cost a fortune (or do one at a time then to pc),is there an easier way using Nero or similar? My aim is to save all these tapes to cdr,that's if they'll fit on a cdr. Most tapes are 90mins.
I can buy a camera that will play the 8mm tapes as well as record digitally,but they are bigger than other cameras.Tried transferring to vhs,mainly wedding videos,etc,I've done for others,but it's not as good as original tape.Thanks,Neil.

godfather
02-10-2002, 03:36 PM
Have you got video capture facilities in your PC, and if so what resolution can it accomodate?

Talking about a video capture card here basically. To record it onto your hard drive first will require you "play" it into the PC via capture hardware/software.

I tried it here, but my 667Mhz PIII is a little slow for it.

Peter
02-10-2002, 05:54 PM
Hi

A Sony Digital8 HandyCam is 'backwards compatible' (will play your old 8mm tapes).

If you have a Capture Card your video 'film' can be Edited on your PC then sent to a 'fresh' tape in the Digital8 format.

Peter E.

roofus
02-10-2002, 07:28 PM
This may help
http://www.tomshardware.com/howto/02q3/020928/index.html

godfather
02-10-2002, 08:06 PM
This link is the same as Roofus provided, but links deeper into the actual article (http://www6.tomshardware.com/howto/02q3/020928/index.html)

Neil McC
02-10-2002, 11:53 PM
Thanks to you three.Looks like I have a fair bit of reading to do.Was wondering if it would be easier to transfer from my video 8 to a new digital camera,say to one tape at a time.Then to load that into the pc,using the program that comes with the camera.That's if these later dig. cameras can record off an older machine.
Not exactly sure what you mean about a video capture card though!Have Win ME with a Geforce2 GTS card. Understand that I would have to buy a firewire? card to use for a dig.camera.Same thing? Anyhow,that's given me plenty to look at. Neil.

godfather
03-10-2002, 12:02 AM
Some graphics cards accept external composite video input (exactly the same as AV on a TV or Video) Thats what I was meaning.

I have a separate TV card which has AV in.

Be aware that HOWEVER you copy off the 8 mm tape, a degradation in quality will occur, as its an analogue process. Its a fact of life you will have to accept. You can buy or build transfer units that boost the higher frequencies to mitigate some effects. To be on the safe side dump them onto VHS as a "backup" as tapes only last a few years, even unused, before the magnetic material can part from the substrate. Some say 10 years but depends on quality

Peter
03-10-2002, 08:52 AM
A Digital8 camera will play your 8mm tapes (backwards compatible). But they won't be digital till re-recorded on the digital8 'corder (or mini-digital).
Suggest you digitise (record to Digital) as soon as you can.

P.