PDA

View Full Version : Digital Photos

DavidW
02-10-2002, 10:30 AM
I am using two 2.0 megapixel cameras. In the finest mode using the Olympus C-2 the saved pictures are around 1,100 KB file size while with the Fujifilm 2600the file sizes are around 700KB. Both are being saved as .jpg files. The printer is an HP psc 950 with 2400 dpi.
Questions 1) Is the difference in file size significant? 2) With printing at 2400 dpi is using the fine setting necessary? Thanks for your comments
David

godfather
02-10-2002, 11:09 AM
The difference in file size is due to the compression used. As to significance, it really depends on the photo content, but in most cases you wouldnt see the difference. I use Fujifilm MX 2700 (2.3MP) and it has a maximum filesize around 950k. I always use the mid setting though, which gives a filesize around 500k. I use fine only if the subject has a lot of detail, whichis where you notice compression "artifacts" if highly compressed.

As to the printer settings, I would be guided by the pixel dimensions. Mine is 1200 x 1800 pixels (per photo, not per inch). Only you know the size you are printing, some sub-pixel rendering can occur in some packages as well.

Best test is to try lower dpi setting and see where the difference shows up.

DavidW
03-10-2002, 01:25 PM
'The difference in file size is due to the compression used' Does this mean that the larger file has the potential to be clearer? David

DavidW
03-10-2002, 01:28 PM
'The difference in file size is due to the compression used' Does this mean that the larger file has the potential to be clearer? David
Even though they are both 2 megapixel cameras?

godfather
03-10-2002, 02:38 PM
Yes. The more compression the more detail is permanently lost. However the caveat is that one may have a superior compression algorythm which preservs more data.
There is no way you could find out however as it would be commercially sensitive info.

Looking at it logically, a file with 1k size cannot hold much info. A file with 1 meg size can.

The "true original" size of my 2.3 MP camera shots is 6.3 megs per photo.

Its compressed to around 1/7 of that at its best setting. It doesnt allow saving with no compression so I cant compare.