PDA

View Full Version : Back to basic - Networking 2K to RH 7.2

Chilling_Silence
02-10-2002, 10:32 AM
Okay, Thanks for all your help so far.

I've tried playing around with it myself. I think I've managed to change the name of the computer to Jukebox200 (Which I was wanting it to be). But fat lot of good that is if it cant see my family desktop ( funnily enough, its called 'p933mhz', please dont ask why??). I'm really wanting to get it networked before friday, I have files that I NEED transfered between the two.

I've got the crossover cable (I had both PC's networked before switching to RedHat 7.2) and so I know that p933mhz is setup fine, and for ICS too!

Now, would I be better off waiting till tomorrow, by when I'll hopefullly have RedHat 8.0?

I've found
-RedHat Menu
-System
-Network Configuration

and had a play around in there.
Under names is:
Hostnamw: Jukebox200

then under Hosts:
192.168.0.2 Jukebox200 Jukebox200

Then under Interfaces its been left alone:
lo 127.0.0.1 none yes active

and in routing is Default Gateway 192.168.0.1 which is the assign IP addy of p933mhz coz it has ICS enabled so Win2K set's it to that... :p
Network packt Forwarding IS NOT ticked

Other than that, that's about as far as my knowledge goes.

I ran Xconfigurator and also got the sound going (Thanks Gorela).

Another thing, how do I know my NIX is supported. Ive got a SN2000 Compatible in there at the moment, but that's coz I switched my 3Com Etherlink 3 with it just to see what difference that made.

I know Samba comes with RH 7.2 coz there's a Samba config under the RedHat System folder.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've looked into a few links in google, but they werent too much help. Read Chris Wilsons Samba + 98SE post, he's running Suse and seemed to have some knowledge already of it.

Thanks

Chilling_Silence

Chilling_Silence
02-10-2002, 10:46 AM
Alrighty, I just did a little hunting, and apparently the 3Com Etherlink 3 card is Tier 1, which means it should work without any further touching once installed... right?!

Maybe that'll help putting htat one back in, the 3com card hasn't had to have additional drivers since 98 original.

I'll get back to you guys if it blows up, just to say dont worry about replying, otherwise, It would be uch appreciated :p

Cheers

Chilling_Silence

Chilling_Silence
02-10-2002, 11:30 AM
Okay, I replaced NIC's and now have the 3Com.
I can Ping 127.0.0.1
Now what?

Graham L
02-10-2002, 06:11 PM
If you want to know what hardware has been recognised, use dmesg | more in a terminal window.
Just add a couple of lines in the /etc/hosts file ...127.0.0.1 localhost
198.168.0.1 windowsbox That should do it. Then you can "ping localhost", and "ping windowsbox" , to show that you are networked.;-)

To move files, the easiest way will be to start the ftpd server. That will be disabled by default. In the administration tools in the GUI will be one which allows/disallows "services". Files for ftp in the Linux box will go through the /home/ftp directory tree ... . If you take the system online, don't enable "anonymous ftp". Always use a user/password for ftp access. That should get you going before Friday. Then get Samba going.

Samba is pretty easy to use ... have a look at the HOWTO, and the home site (probably called www.samba.org) for the manual.

Chilling_Silence
02-10-2002, 06:19 PM
Yes, A reply finally, Thanks. I've seen a FTPD being setup, so I might be able to remember something. I'll be trying 8.0 tonight.

Thanks, I'll have to see what happens when I get home... Still at work!

Cheers

Chilling_Silence

Graham L
02-10-2002, 06:38 PM
Check my "FAQ XXX". It's growing.