PDA

View Full Version : Laptop can't seem to handle large video files

Chao is back
01-10-2002, 11:10 PM
Sometimes when i try to view large video files on my Laptop the computer seems to lockup and a forced shutdown is the only way to restart it. This happens occassionally but is a real pain since i work with large video files and play them quite often. The Laptop is a:
Pentium II 233mhz
WinME
Windows Media Player 8

-=JM=-
01-10-2002, 11:42 PM
I think that system is a tad underpowered for the job.

Also WMP8 uses more resources than something like zoom player.

tweak\'e
01-10-2002, 11:47 PM
you will also find its a lot to do with the codec. i think divx is minimum 300mhz. don't quote me on that as i will have to go double check......

some codecs have quality adjustments(eg divx), go turn it down to the lowest.

Chilling_Silence
02-10-2002, 10:21 AM
Yeah, If it's DivX, You'll struggle to get it to go on 98, let alone ME, which uses more resources in my experience. I used Radlight Media Player 3.03 on my 120Mhz laptop, and it put out an average framerate of 20FPS?! Give or take. I could get 29.5 FPS on a P75Mhz desktop running 98SE, The architecture of a laptop (mainly the older ones) will be a lot less geared towards doing those media apps. From what I said above, you'd think because the laptop has a faster clock speed it'd do better, Wrong, because it was a laptop. The same went for gaming between the two. Higher Resolution of the older games (Jedi Knight Original) for the 75Mhz Desktop. If you're not doing DivX, then I'd suggest Radlight, or even Windows Media Player 6.4, but not 7 or 8, or even 9 now!
If you dont like RadLight, Then I've used Sasami2K and that's good on anything 166Mhz upwards!

Hope that helps

Cheers

Chilling_Silence