PDA

View Full Version : control panel add/remove applet corrupt?

pcjunkie
01-10-2002, 10:24 PM
Hi, I have a windows 2000 machine that suddenly stopped properly displaying Add/Remove Programs. All I get is a blank window with a single line of text at the top "Change or Remove ProgramsAdd New ProgramsAdd/Remove Windows Components" which is the text that is normally displayed under the buttons on the left side of the window. There is no list of programmes that can be removed, and nothing else appears in the window.

All other Control Panel applets appear normally. Running appwiz.cpl produces the same result. I am logged on with administrator privileges. This occurred while as sp2, and upgrading to sp3 made no difference.

Thanks for any help.

Kahawai_Chaser
01-10-2002, 10:39 PM
Hi...

Had a similar problem in WINSE, in that control panel would not open; Resolved this by going to the Microsoft help site, which has a control panel help section. Problem was due to a corrupt program in control panel which I had to disable (I think) on Microsoft's instructions...Then control panel opened up...

Cheers..

Babe Ruth
01-10-2002, 10:51 PM
pcjunkie,

You can try the following: START | RUN and in the run box type rundll32.exe shell32.dll,Control_FillCache_RunDLL and click OK. This resets the Control Panel icons/applets.

Failing that try the Microsoft articles pointed to by ControlPanel (http://search.support.microsoft.com/search/default.aspx?Catalog=LCID%3D1033%26CDID%3DEN-US-KB%26PRODLISTSRC%3DON&Product=&KeywordType=ALL&Titles=false&numDays=&maxResults=25&withinResults=&Queryl=control+panel+appwiz.cpl&Query=control+panel+appwiz.cpl&QuerySource=gsfxSearch_Query)

babe.

pcjunkie
02-10-2002, 06:40 AM
Thanks for the replies, following up on Microsoft kb articles eventually found a solution - re-registering dll files and appwiz.cpl and putting on the latest service pack didn't help but a reinstallation of IE fixed the problem.

pcjunkie