PDA

View Full Version : AMD Duron - PCMark2002

Beef
01-10-2002, 10:19 PM
hi, i have just been looking around system info on pcmark2002.
now in CPU Info it gives me this information

Manufacturer: AMD
Family: Duron(tm)
Internal Clock: 900 MHz
Internal Clock Maximum: 1.17 GHz
External Clock: 100 MHz
Socket Designation: Socket A
Type: <unknown>
Upgrade: Slot 1
Capabilities: MMX, CMov, RDTSC, 3DNow!, Extended 3DNow!
Version: AMD Duron(tm)
CPUID: 0x00000631
now what im really querying is that Internal Clock Maxium is 1.17 GHz, now i am curious is that was IT CAN do. or is it some random bullshit.
if not how can i get it to run at this? is there like a button bios or do i have to get into the computer and switch a few jumpers over.
I have a BIOS version 6 or something

a 1stMainboard AZIIEA.

kewefella
01-10-2002, 10:36 PM
not sure if that is the maximum it can do but to increase the speed it goes or overclock it there are two main ways.

***Firstly a disclaimer...overclocking is not for the faint hearted or inexperienced...it result in perminant damage to your system and shortens the life of the CPU***

First the simple way is too increase the bus speed, say from 100 mhz to 110 mhz. You can do this in either the bios or manually with the jumper on the motherboard. Only one problem with this is that in doing this you increase the speed of all your pci, agp card etc and they usually don't like it too much. Small increases maybe but 10mhz is probably the limit, I know mine didn't like it. This would give you say 990Mhz.

The second way is tricky. You have to take the CPU out and fill in the L1 bridges on the CPU with a graphite pencil or something that can conduct electricity. Only DON'T let any of these touch each other or you could fry the chip. This is called unlocking the CPU. Then on the mother board you can change the multiplier settings, only prob is they go up in 0.5 spaces or 50Mhz at 100Mhz bus speed so you can go from stable to fryed in one step. Also in combination with all this is the voltage of the CPU..the higher the speed the more voltage (from 1.7 to 1.75 volts) it needs but this also increase the temp so you may need a bigger fan as well. The results if it works can be great, I got my Duron 700 doing 900 this way BUT UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING DON'T TRY THIS!

If you want to try, buy a spare CPU first that way you've got a backup if you fry one.