PDA

View Full Version : Unable to save a large file in Word 7

David Coory
01-10-2002, 07:08 PM
I'm a writer using Word for Windows 95 Version 7.0 and Windows 2000 operating system. I am working on a large book of 60 chapters. To keep it manageable I have kept every chapter a separate file and tied them together as a Master document.
I now need to combine the files into one document for printing, about 100 MB all up, but when I do combine them, either through the Master document, or manually, and then try and save the large file, I get the message "Unable to save. There is insufficient disk space or there are too many files open."
I even get this message trying to combine as few as six chapters. The files are quite large as they contain graphics but there is ample disk space and the number of files open when saving has been as few as six.

Graham L
01-10-2002, 07:12 PM
Can't you just Print the master document, and have the system handle calling up all the components in order? I thought that would be what the master document would be for. Works like that in Tex.;-)

godfather
01-10-2002, 07:27 PM
I think you should be able to link the chapter files in a new document, which will achieve what you want?

godfather
01-10-2002, 07:35 PM
Also I believe Microsoft Office has a maximum filesize of 32 Mb, but cannot confirm this...

Babe Ruth
01-10-2002, 07:53 PM
David,
See the following MS Knowledge Base Article re Word97 Limitations (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q168804)

Babe.

Babe Ruth
01-10-2002, 07:55 PM
David, And for more on Word see Technical Reference for Word (http://www.mvps.org/serenitymacros/reference.html)

Babe.

David Coory
02-10-2002, 03:32 PM
I can print the Master document myself OK, but I need to combine it into a single Word 7 file and then re-format the whole book so that I can send it to a Commercial Book printer as a PDF file on a CD.

David Coory
02-10-2002, 03:41 PM
I've checked further and yes there is a file limit of 32 MB for Word 7, but that does not apply to graphics within a file, only the text. Without the graphics the text of all my chapters would be around the 20 MB mark.

I'll try and contact Microsoft support later, their support page seems to be down at present.

Thanks for the ideas.

Bill R
02-10-2002, 05:13 PM
Save As the file using a slightly different name, then Save As over the original. Repeat a couple of times. The file size decreases quite substantially until they both end up the same. Master files are just like a huge file so they end up being slow and cumbersome as well. I don't think MS Word was designed for large files over 10 mb - so either keep your files small or use an alternative like Adobe Framemaker.

Graham L
02-10-2002, 06:51 PM
Talk to the printers... they will have come across this problem (and worse, probably) and will know better than any of us (or MS ;-)) if there is a way around it.

I did a bit of work with LaTeX, a brilliant (free!) publishing system, and it could handle such things easily. We used it on PC ATs, with 1 or 2 MB of memory, and small hard disks.