PDA

View Full Version : ODBC drive missing

Jandy1
30-09-2002, 08:55 PM
Hi.

My last adventure with Press F1 led me to some really helpful suggestions, and a quick resolution to my (modem) problem. Many thanks to all who made suggestions, back then.

My current problem is this: I uninstalled some non-MS software that was related to my PDA, and now I can’t use Outlook 2000. When I try, I get an error message that tells me “Error installing ODBC driver (Microsoft Text Driver)…could not load setup or translator library. Verify that the file MS Text Driver exists and that you can access it.”

D-uh. How do I verify that when it doesn’t give me a useable filename? I’ve tried reinstalling Outlook (couple of times), tried Win updates, and have also reinstalled Office 97 in desperation, because Times New Roman and Arial have disappeared from my word processor, and I thought there might be some link. Missing link, more like!

Do you have any ideas about how I can get an ODBC driver (spent an hour on the MS website and couldn’t find one, their search function is pathetic)—or what else might help? I’m running Win98, on a P333 Toshiba Satellite.

Many thanks,

Jandy

Babe Ruth
30-09-2002, 09:33 PM
Jandy1 ,
I wonder if you need to update your mdac components. Go to this page MDAC2.7 (http://www.microsoft.com/data/download_270RTM.htm) and download "MDAC 2.7 refresh for X86-English"
Save the download file (mdac_typ.exe) in a directory on your harddrive
When the download has completed (note approx 5MB) run the MDAC_TYP.EXE file and follow the instructions

Babe.

Jandy1
30-09-2002, 09:37 PM
BR,

Thanks for the suggestion.

What's an "mdac component?"

Jandy

godfather
30-09-2002, 09:40 PM
Microsoft Universal Data Access component...

godfather
30-09-2002, 09:42 PM
Or, in this case Microsoft Data Access Component

Jandy1
01-10-2002, 08:15 AM
godfather and Babe,

Thanks heaps for the info, but this didn't work. The mdac files installed okay, I rebooted, but no Outlook. Tried to reinstall Outlook a couple of times...once, the install hung ("hanged?!"), and the second time, the same error message came up.

Any other ideas?

Jandy

Jandy1
01-10-2002, 02:08 PM
This just gets worse and worse. A friend told me that I should uninstall Office 97, delete the registry entries for same. Then, load the mdac driver you kindly told me about, Babe, then reinstall Office 97 followed by Outlook 2000. No go. All I get is more error messages and now the registry won't take the Office 97 details!

Same friend (who works in personal computer support) says the ODBC drivers are associated with Office, not with Windows. He's recommendedthat I should buy Office XP and that should solve the problem. Does this sound right to you guys?

Jandy

tweak\'e
01-10-2002, 02:28 PM
how about a more simple solution....don't use outlook. theres a fair few good mail programs around like eudora.

Jandy1
01-10-2002, 02:36 PM
tweak'e,

I never did get on with Eudora Light when I used it back in '97. My own personal preference in Pegasus, but I got a PDA over Christmas (not as a gift!) that requires Outlook. Pegasus don't have a cut-down version that is PDA-compliant, and Outlook for Pocket PC comes bundled with the PDA software. Seems a waste of the small amount of space the thing has available, to have a second email program on it!

Jandy

mikebartnz
01-10-2002, 03:06 PM
I'm afraid your friend is wrong when he says that the ODBC (I think it stands for Open Database connectivity) is Office related and not Windows related.
I'm not sure what OS you are running but I seem to remember when I ran 95 control panel had an entry for setting up ODBC. Outlook has been looking for a text based ODBC driver.

Jandy1
01-10-2002, 06:10 PM
Mike,

I’m inclined to think you’re right, since I’ve also seen (and used) the ODBC thinggy in Control Panel. If it was connected to Office, why would it be there if I wasn’t running Office on the computer—or, for that matter, after uninstalling Office?

So, the two pieces of advice I’ve received so far today (outside of this forum, which frankly seems more useful than either!), are as follows:

1. ODBC is connected to Office. Therefore, buy a higher version of Office (XP for preference) and install that, then re-install the mdac components.

2. Santa’s little helper #2 didn’t answer the question about what ODBC was connected to. However, he did say that I should reinstall Win. Problem: I don’t have the CD (yes, it’s legal…but I don’t have access to it right now). I’ve got the whole Win98SE CD dumped on my HD under Win/Options…but how do I reinstall it from *within* Windows itself? Santa’s helper was busy, and didn’t explain that bit very well! Also, can I reinstall Windows without losing all my software? Some of it’s downloaded, and will be a heap of work to reinstall, and I’m travelling soon and will need it all! :-(

So…I’m happy to accept votes for either of the above options, or any additional suggestions along the way!!

Thanks,

Jandy

Graham L
01-10-2002, 06:25 PM
The setup programme knows that it is doing a reinstall. It will keep your settings... though this could be a problem, since your current settings aren't completely correct.;-)

Experts ... what's the system repair thingy?

To do the reinstall, boot to DOS (F8 to get to the menu), cd \w98se
setup(of course, use whatever directory name your .CAB files are kept if it's not "w98se").