PDA

View Full Version : OE deleted email - how to recreate them?

kummer42
29-09-2002, 11:19 PM
hi
i have a rather strange problem:
when i used Outlook Express today it contacted this pop.server or whatever to get my emails - but instead of just adding the new emails - he replaced all my old mails with a new one.
so i found out about thos *.dbx files in which OE is supposed to store the lost mails and i downloaded this R-mail programm which is able to recover those dbx files - but still i cant find the mails withinbetween those dbx files.

SO - CAN ANYBODY HELP

Jim B
29-09-2002, 11:35 PM
What do you mean by "but instead of just adding the new emails - he replaced all my old mails with a new one."

When you download mail from your ISP the mail goes into the inbox.
You may have to scroll to see all your messages.

The mail in the inbox can be sorted by date if you click on Received it will either put the latest email at the top or at the bottom.

Go to View/Current view and select Show all messages.
Your mail will either be in your inbox somewhere or possibly in deleted items

kummer42
30-09-2002, 04:22 AM
hi,

when i said "instead of just adding the new emails - he replaced all my old mails with a new one." i meant that there were about 200 emails in the inbox and now there is just the one which he downloaded then. and i have searched in all folders - even in those dbx files - but all my mails are just gone.

Susan B
30-09-2002, 08:19 AM
Sorry that I can't help you with your problem - it is a bit of a mystery, especially if you can't find those emails in your inbox.dbx or deleted.dbx folders. You did try DBXtract didn't you? This page (http://pages.prodigy.net/jdjd/email/emailback.htm) has info on that program if you need it.

I'd just like to offer a tip: I learnt long ago never to store important emails in your Inbox for precisely the reason you have just discovered. In my case NAV wiped out my Inbox when deleting a virus in there.

Either move your messages into other folders you create after they've downloaded or set up rules for them to go to other folders automatically.

ajcwilson
30-09-2002, 10:15 AM
I thought once it was deleted, it was deleted.

Susan B
30-09-2002, 10:59 AM
> I thought once it was deleted, it was deleted.

Oh no, Alan, definitely not!! :O

Until you have compacted your folders in Outlook Express every single one of your emails, including those you thought you had "deleted" are still in those .dbx folders. See this thread (http://pressf1.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=24430&message=80494) for more info and tips.

If you are game, have a look for yourself: go to that link I've provided in my previous post, download DBXtract 4.11 from the link on that page and run it. Make sure Outlook Express is not running first. Also, create a temporary folder to extract the emails to and specify that folder in the program.

If you don't get anything out of the deleted.dbx folder, put a tick in the Recover Mode box - then hold tight! I just got 369 deleted items out of mine and I only compacted it less than a week ago!! Don't say I didn't warn you - you might have thousands!

ajcwilson
30-09-2002, 11:20 AM
I'll have to investigate that. I thought once you deleted they were gone.

That could be scary

Jim B
30-09-2002, 10:21 PM
I have never heard of that happening before.
Are you sure you were using the same identity in OE
If you go to File/Switch identities you may see another identity set up with your missing messages in the inbox

The other possibility is that you were using a different windows login and as a result you were using a different OE and different inbox.

kummer42
03-10-2002, 12:59 AM
chears a lot for all replies,
i will try it out, hope it will be successfull....

CYaBro
03-10-2002, 08:27 AM
Are you running McAfee Viruscan v6?

I know there was a problem with it deleting emails unexpectedly.

There is a patch on their website for it.

kummer42
03-10-2002, 08:32 PM
lucky me? no.
the programm you told me is crashing down when i use the recover mode: it stops by saying:

Progress: Pass 17/18 Segment 1/1

i also tried the recover function of a demoversion of r-mail - but it says, there is nothing to recover in this folder!

kummer42
13-10-2002, 03:23 AM
hi,
im actually running McAfee viruscan, but i cant find the patch on their website youve told me - do you know where to find it???