PDA

View Full Version : TNT II 32 Meg 4x/2x

Beef
28-09-2002, 08:39 PM
my mate is having trouble getting his card to work.

apparently it fits well in the computer
starts up and then asks for drivers and then installs and then after the restart it goes to a black green screen.

his computer is a 450 Mhz ADm K6 160 mb ram. he also has a Voodoo card.

tweak\'e
28-09-2002, 09:05 PM
ok....firstly what make video card? what drivers is he useing? has he removed the old video card drivers first?

the other thing would be to remove the voodoo (which model?) first and uninstall its drivers.

what os?

and finally,,,, what on earth is a " black green screeen"????

Beef
29-09-2002, 08:51 AM
its nvidia

august drivers fro nvidia.com

apparently he has removed them all.

he has removed his voodoo and s3.

98 se

i wouldn''t have a clue.

Beef
29-09-2002, 12:49 PM
okay it is a NVIDIA TNT 2 RIVA MODEL 64/ Model 64

the box it came in is a Digicolor .. 3D Pro AGP TNT II M64.

he is running Windows 98 se.

we removed everything has to do any graphics card. S3 and voodoo and cirrus.

reinstalled it. restarts goto's windows page and then goes to a MS - dossy page with a _ blinking and then it loads some more and goes to black screen and then doesnt load windows. restart after that and goes to **** resolution not using card with 16 colours.

Beef
29-09-2002, 01:38 PM
i have more..

we put his old cirrus logic in "pci"

and then reinstalled all his Tnt 2 drivers..
and then we go into settings in display and it has the availability to go into extended desktop etc..

so we plug moniter into TNT 2 and it says;

If you can read this message windows has successfully initialized this adapter.

to use this adapter fas a part of your windows desktop goto our display control panel and adjust settings.

but how do we make so that the TNT 2 is the default adapter.

cause then when we plug the moniter into the tnt 2 after a restart it holds up just before windows starts in a black screen. we are gunna get a another moniter very sson to test it out.

Peter H
29-09-2002, 01:58 PM
I have just installed the same card with no problems, following the Instruction Manual. With the old video card in, you remove the drivers from control panel/system/device drivers, Then set the display to standard PCI graphics adaptor. Turn off - fit new card - remove old one - turn on. Put the CD in and it will auto-run and give instructions etc. You may have to go back to device drivers and make sure the correct driver is selected.
Bye

Beef
29-09-2002, 03:04 PM
well first of all it didnt come with an instruction manual.. and do you mean remove it from device manager.

and where is this standard pci thing..how do i set that???

tweak\'e
29-09-2002, 03:20 PM
ok...boot into safe mode.remove nvida drivers, go to control panel and remove ALL entries under display adapter. reboot, add standard pci adapter driver then shutdown.

install tnt card (on its own...no other cards in system). boot pc. it should come up as standard pci grpahics adapter. make sure it works as that. reboot check it still works, then install nvida drivers.

also it may pay to check bios settings as tnt requires 'irq assigned to vga' turned on.

if it goes to custard after installing nvida drivers then you will have to TOTALLY REMOVE all parts of nvida drivers before reinstalling.

Peter H
29-09-2002, 03:25 PM
My computer/control panel/system/display adaptor - click on + to expand/High lite to remove/properties/driver/update driver. Change to standard vga. You cannot have 2 Video cards installed.
Bye

Beef
29-09-2002, 05:27 PM
It rebooted again and worked with standard PCI adapter, installed nvidia drivers and there was a blank screen once again before windows started.

IRQ assign to VGA is on. All drivers were removed before we did this.

We took the video card to a mates place and it ran on his computer, he had an older version of the card and older drivers, we installed the new card and it ran under the older drivers. 4.12.01.0522 Windows 95 drivers.

do you have a link for older drivers?

Peter H
29-09-2002, 06:05 PM
Go to http://www.driverguide.com User name: drivers Password: all
Hopefully find them there, allthough mine came on CD with card.
Bye

Beef
29-09-2002, 06:41 PM
**im back at my computer**
we found some drivers. reactoraldrivers.com or something

yeah we did all the stuff you guys said.

like the standard pci gfx stuff

that all worked and then when it restarts it does the _ _ _ and then it goes into a blank screen before windows.

we tried it on his different hard drive that has no drivers or anything..

and when it restarted it still went into a shitty resultion and colour..

so im screwed as to what to do to help him

Peter H
29-09-2002, 07:33 PM
Go to drivers guide - do a search for tnt2 m64 - graphics + video adaptors. They are all there !!!!

Beef
29-09-2002, 08:05 PM
yes his had a cd with it.. but that still doesnt work.

tweak\'e
29-09-2002, 08:33 PM
ok which drivers have you tried? are you 100% sure you deleted all parts of the old drivers including reg entries (there is a tool on the net for clean out nvida drivers).

what motherboard drivers have you got installed?

Beef
29-09-2002, 08:43 PM
522 drivers.

i can't remember the full name.

the cd it comes with gives the option in add/remove programmes. but you have to remove .inf files.

i dont know what motherboard drivers. but why would that have anything to do with it?

tweak\'e
29-09-2002, 09:13 PM
you need the motherboard drivers installed otherwise nothing is going to work correctly. sometimes the video cards can be fussy if you are useing old motherboard drivers.

sometimes with nvida drivers they can get corrupted (bad download or bad install) and need to be cleaned out totally (ie manually hunt down every little file and reg entry....o joy!!!)

Beef
30-09-2002, 08:38 AM
alright..where can i find the motherboard drivers??

i think they may be VIA .. if that helps.

Jimmy D
30-09-2002, 09:37 AM
Hey its me. the one with the TNT2.
We have tried practically everything, I am interested now in the motherboard drivers, how can i find out if i have them or what version they are? and where can i get new ones?

My mother board is a 400Mhz K6-2 JDI5VG+

JD

tweak\'e
30-09-2002, 11:03 AM
strangely enough that board is a rebadged TMC.

drivers are here http download (http://downloads.viaarena.com/drivers/4in1/VIA_4in1_443v.zip) and ftp download (ftp://downloads.viaarena.com/drivers/4in1/VIA_4in1_443v.zip)

Jimmy D
30-09-2002, 11:14 AM
Thanks for that, im downloading them now.

I did some research. my chipset is VP3/MVP3 and it says at viaarena.com at the FAQ's

Question: I cannot get my AGP card to work on my MVP3 or MVP4 chipset based board.

Answer: MVP3 and MVP4 chipset based boards are now considered to be old design boards and in many instances are only designed for AGP rev.1 specifications. There are therefore compatability issues with newer AGP cards on some MVP3 and MVP4 based motherboards. This varies between brands and models. For more information, visit the VIA Arena information database.

can u get around this or will it simply not work? ill try the drivers once they are downloaded.

thanks

tweak\'e
30-09-2002, 11:40 AM
don't worry the tnt2 is an old card. i have one running on a mvp3 chipset mobo in the other room.

Jimmy D
30-09-2002, 01:10 PM
got new motherboard drivers, from viaarena.com

installed them, got rid of all the old video drivers.

took them all out

installed TnT 2 , It worked.. installed new tnt2 drivers. still worked

thankz for all your help.

bye

Susan B
30-09-2002, 02:31 PM
Geez tweak'e, don't you ever stop coming here, will you?! :O

Have been following this thread with interest - an excellent result! ;-)

Jimmy D
30-09-2002, 02:34 PM
yeah thanks tweak'e

tweak\'e
30-09-2002, 04:33 PM
shucks susan :8}

tho its seems to be a comman problem. mayby a FAQ ???

FAQ 000001

whats the first thing to do after installing windows?

install the motherboard drivers! :)

Beef
30-09-2002, 10:21 PM
i have a query.

take a look at this.

Http://ctmclan.orcon.net.nz/beef/dxdiag.jpg

now my card is a 3D Prophet 4000 xt 32 meg Kyro.

am i wondering why it doesn't say 32 megs of video ram.

i have all the latest drivers installed.

runnning on AMD Duron 900 mhz. 192 ram. yes motherboard drivers are installed. win 98 se.

and then why it doesn't have AGP Texturing test available there..

it is it because i need to reinstalled 8.1 direct x?

and then this picture says i have 32 meg.

Http://ctmclan.orcon.net.nz/beef/hercdiag.jpg

tweak\'e
30-09-2002, 10:36 PM
the agp texturing test dosn't appear with the latest directx 8.1. the only time i had it was with dx8.0 (i think) as far as the ram goes ms dx does say "approx ram".

provided its running ok i wouldn't worry about it.

the kyro's work in an interesting way but unforunatly have had more than their fair share of driver problems

Jimmy D
01-10-2002, 08:43 PM
My video card which is now working is only runnung at 1x. How do i change that or is my motherboard too old to supportt more than 1x speed?

Beef
01-10-2002, 09:15 PM
i say it is old.

tweak\'e
01-10-2002, 10:01 PM
check in the bios that 2x is enabled.

Jimmy D
02-10-2002, 08:18 AM
Yeah, I've checked in the BIOS and i cant seem to find it

tweak\'e
02-10-2002, 11:38 AM
ok......how do you know its ruuning in 1x ???

you could try rivatuner (new ver in the news) which has a lot of tweaks and can force 2x (be warned it may not like running at 2x if motherboard isn't running at 2x)

Beef
03-10-2002, 09:55 AM
well for one, he checked PC Mark 2002 and all it has is 1x (1x Enabled)

on my computer it has 1x, 2x, 4x (4x enabled)

tweak\'e
03-10-2002, 10:03 AM
i wouldn't trust pcmark2002 to much. try something like sisoft sandra or even wcpuid. also riva tuner usually says as well.