PDA

View Full Version : Connection Speed

Basil Pesto
28-09-2002, 11:02 AM
(I know there are lots of posts already around this point but I can't see one specific to my query.)

I have recently bought a notebook (Toshiba Satellite Pro) and it regularly connects to xtra at 48Kbps. However our desktop usually connects at 52Kbps - using exactly the same line. Is there any particular reason for this and is there any way I can get the laptop to do the extra 4Kbps that the desktop gets?

Thanks

BP

tweak\'e
28-09-2002, 11:16 AM
don't get to hung up on the connect speed. check the actual download speed before you go tweaking anything.

godfather
28-09-2002, 12:27 PM
The difference will be in the hardware, and its highly likely that the lower connect speed may have a faster overall data speed.

Its all very well connecting at 52kb/s but if it has to repeat data "packets" because it is trying to operate too close to the outer limit, the speed could be less.

52kbits/s is 6.5 kBytes per second. (ignoring control bits and compression)
48 kbits/s is 6.0 kBytes per second

Doesnt take many dropped packets to make up for the 500 Bytes per second. Laptop modems are often better and faster at downloading in my experience, when compared to a modern "soft" internal modem in a desktop PC.