PDA

View Full Version : Debian apt-get

Shroeder
27-09-2002, 09:30 PM
Hi

I am trying Debian as I'm told that apt-get beats rpm hands down (and I'm sick of rpm dependency hell) :(

The trouble is I seem to need to know the package names to get what I need and I need the kernel-headers to be able to get my winmodem going (until I get this going I can't load much from the internet as I only got a pretty bare bones initial CD)

Anyone know what package has the kernel headers in it?

TIA

Graham L
28-09-2002, 01:58 PM
As far as I know, apt just handles the dependencies. From what I have read it is great. If you have downloaded a subset of debian to get apt ... wouldn't it be easier to reload a full system (which you had ... with modem working didn't you? ;-)) then get the apt system from Freshrpms (http://apt.freshrpms.net) and install it. Then once you have it installed and initialised (it needs to setup according to your system) you will be in clover.

Debian is intended for the real enthusiasts ... those who like delving into the source code. Trying to build from a partial download is going to be the sort of thing which I would "leave as an exercise for the reader". ;-)

apt works on all distributions, and uses .rpm files. RPM is the standard packaging utility for most distributions ...