PDA

View Full Version : Scanner

Lady Coro
26-09-2002, 09:38 PM
Hello I am a newbie. Can anyone reccomend an "easy to use" cheaper scanner to connect to a H P mx50 computer with Windows ME on it?
Thankyou Lady Coro.

Ps I asked Poppa John but he cannot be serious for a minute. LC

fuzzybear
26-09-2002, 10:47 PM
Lady Coro,

Well, yes you must be new to this game - never mind!!

The mx50 is the model number of your Monitor, NOT THE COMPUTER.

You will have got this from the top right hand corner of the screen, or what we call the MONITOR (similar to the TV screen). All Hewlet packard computers come with an associated MONITOR, and I am guessing you have a relatively new machine (within two to three years of age), so your computer will support what we call USB CONNECTIONS to devices like PRINTERS and SCANNERS. I suggest you call the 0800 number that came with the computer (Hewlet packard new zealand ltd), and give them the model number of your COMPUTER, not the MONITOR and ask if your computer supports USB devices, like scanners and printers. If it does, then I suggest to do the following:

The model number of your computer, will be at the front of the machine itself - the box, or the part that you actually touch to turn the computer on. The computer has the disk drive at the front, and has the ON switch and will have an amber light flashing from time to time, with a green light on steady when there is power to the computer. It usually sits under the desk, or somewhere close to the floor.

There is a good little scanner that will do a fine job for $197.00 at Dick smith electronics at present. Check around to get a good price at other computer outlets like Noel Leeming, Bond & Bond, Harvey Norman, etc, but Dick's have this scanner at a good price. It is the CANON D646Uex.

Write this model number down.

Take this info in. I checked the specifications of this scanner, and it does work with windows ME. A good scanner at a good price, and easy to use.

you can have a look at the scanner and its specs by going directly to this web site:

http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/3d92e21f0a19f6f2273fc0a87f99073f/Product/View/XH1621

Hope this is of some help!!

Cheers,

jeff

Baldy
26-09-2002, 11:32 PM
> Ps I asked Poppa John but he cannot be serious for a
> minute. LC

I am very surprised you should say that about Poppa, Lady Coro...... However, I will try and be serious for a second and try and put in my two bobs worth.

If you just want a basic scanner, you shouldn't have to pay more than $150. I brought a basic Microtek brand at Harvey Normans, which does everything I need it to do. You will find that most of the biggish appliance stores will have a basic scanner on special, so just ring around. Don't let any of the shop assistants fool you into believing that you have to buy a HP scanner either. When I was buying my scanner, the HP models were some of the more expensive models.

If you need any further advise or have any other questions, just make further postings. There is always someone here to help......

BALDY:-)

p/s: Haven't seen Poppa here tonight. Maybe he's still munching his way through his favourite pudding, Sago

Maryann
27-09-2002, 12:09 AM
Lady Coro.....you think YOU'VE got a problem with Poppa John....he told ME he was Poppa John the Innocent !! :O

I think he's found an old bottle of U.K. School milk and is enjoying it as he checks his e-mails before bed. ;)

Lady Coro
27-09-2002, 08:37 AM
Maryann, Being the Pure & Innocent single person I am, Hot milk is all I can enjoy at bedtime. Sometimes I slip into Wickedness & put Milo in it.
Modest Poppa John :D

Baldy
27-09-2002, 09:09 AM
Try Horlicks

Are you wearing your Ena Sharples hair net Poppa?

BALDY:-)

Susan B
27-09-2002, 09:20 AM
Poppa John, isn't it rather early for you to be at Lady Coro's house (or her to be at your house)????? :O

Pure and Innocent? Bah!!

Susan B
27-09-2002, 09:26 AM
> Are you wearing your Ena Sharples hair net Poppa?
>
> BALDY:-)

Bugger you Baldy! Now I have to clean off all the breakfast I sprayed all over my screen! :D

godfather
27-09-2002, 09:33 AM
Susan, if you are eating Breakfast at 9:26 am, you should be ashamed. Most of us have done a days work by then....(but you were probably still delivering the milk)

Re: Poppa J's "other Identity, do not jump to conclusions, as he may only be cross-dressing. (he does often comment he loses his marbles)

Now back to the topic, you may indeed get a good scanner for $150. (or less) however consider if you will always have Windows ME? If there is a possibility that you may upgrade to XP ensure that any scanner will handle it. Often the reason for the good price is because it is unsupported in XP

Lady Coro
27-09-2002, 09:42 AM
Ok you lot. Lady Coro IS a SHE. Poppa John IS a HE. As for the rest , you'll never know!!!! Bigamist in thought Poppa John. :D :D ]:)

Ps Susan B, you,re my Tuesday night Dream Girl !!!! ]:) P J

Graham Petrie
27-09-2002, 09:51 AM
I always thought a bigamist was heavy fog in Italy.

Kind of like bigotry being a large Italian redwood.

]:) G P