PDA

View Full Version : multiple users updating a single website...ug.

falvrez
26-09-2002, 08:41 PM
Not sure if this has been discussed here before, but as much as I've tried to put a particular company off, they want the abillity for seperate managers to update their own webpages (and some of the managers aren't too great with documents let alone HTML or even WYSIWYG HTML).

Obviously there would need to be some sort of restriction so they don't go off deleting someone else's pages, but I'm wondering if anyone out there has had experience with this and what the best solution is to things like which program to use for design, a seperate FTP program etc...

Gladly listen to any suggestions.

Thanks in advance

Graham Petrie
26-09-2002, 08:58 PM
OK - if you want managers to update the page themselves, they will have to know how to add the HTML there is no two ways about that - If they simply CANNOT do it, then they won't be able to update their own pages UNLESS...

The content being updated is text only, and you don't mind formatting the content. This way, they could submit their changes to be uploadded, or the HTML could possibly be coded to display the contents of a text file which they update.

Now, assuming the managers can be taught how to update the webpages content themselves, as far as uploading the pages is concerned, you could organise with your host to set up different usernames which would allow only to post pages, not remove them. You might even be able to restrict each manager to their own folder.

My solution would be to have a moderator who receives all of the pages, checks them for problems and then posts them himself. This way there is less chance of malformed pages and problems which cause downtime and cause delays to your customers.

Not an easy task, this question is best answered by a web develpment company who deals with this sort of thing regularly. Their will be a solution, but it may not be free.

G P

SoniKalien
26-09-2002, 09:00 PM
Macromedia Dreamweaver is designed for this. Get version 5 though, as the latest version MX seems to be a tad counter productive inthis area.

There is,of course, no substitute for education...

Get a demo off an old PCWorld CD (http://mystuff.orcon.net.nz/cdcat) if you want to try it. If you like there could be a few floating around trademe or something.

SiK

falvrez
26-09-2002, 09:25 PM
HI Grahamn thanks for the reply.

The moderator would be me at this time! This is the thing: someone emails me new links/textpics whatever. I go through and do the job, and then email them back to check it. They don't like one or two things and email me back. I go and and change it then email them back....yada yada yada.
Herein lies the problem. They know what they want but might not put exactly that down in an email to me.
It's this middle man (me) thing that they (and I to a point) want to cut out.
My real concern is having to sort out a mess after some tutuing...also a loss of uniformity, pictures too large...the list is almost endless.

falvrez
26-09-2002, 09:26 PM
Thanks SiK

will grab a cd and take a look

Graham Petrie
26-09-2002, 09:31 PM
I f you have the authority, tell them wht the format is and tell them to stick to it. Say "This is where text goes, this is where pictures go, if you want any changes - tough"

Depending on your position in the control pyramid this may not go down too well, but if you want uniformity and consistency then...

Good luck.

As you know, HTML is not too hard to learn - maybe you should tell them to give you what they want in HTML, but with no background etc, and then you could just paste their code into your pages???

I haven't used Dream Weaver, but I have heard rave reviews so give it a try.

G P

Heather P
26-09-2002, 10:15 PM
How's your ColdFusion, ASP or PHP?

If the site is getting big with multiple updaters it might be time for database entries and server sided scripting.

-=JM=-
27-09-2002, 08:27 PM
If their are going to be multiple people updating one document. There should be only one person that ever uploads the document.

Otherwise (I've had this happen). Two people download the current document and update it. This ends up wiping out one of the other persons updates.

Matt_NZ
28-09-2002, 01:06 AM
I have a similar setup (among a group of friends though, we share web host space :)). Anyway, if your server has FrontPage extensions, you can set up different accounts for users with certain access rights (ie, they can upload new pages and change their own, but not others or give another full access).

FrontPage is half the price of Dreamweaver, and probably easier for people new to web design to use. You could create the page design as a template for the people and they can use it when creating new pages (heh, make sure to make the template read only or someone may overwrite the original).

If your server doesn't have FP extensions, they usually come on with FP its self, but I think the ones on disk are for Windows servers only. If your server is Linux based, you may need to get it from else where. Someone here may know where?

Matt_NZ
28-09-2002, 01:12 AM
Here's a site with FP Extensions for Linux and instructions in installing them. http://www.rtr.com/fpsupport/ . This maybe something your System Admin may need to do (if you have one) so check and see if they have them installed, and if no, direct them to this site :)

Greg S
28-09-2002, 07:46 AM
It seems to me that you are happy for them to mess around with their own stuff, but don't want them fooling with anyone else's. Best way to achieve this is to have seperate FTP accounts for each, with access rights only to their own directories. This has to be done server-side, so you need to ask your webhost to arrange it for you. If you were hosting with me it could be set up in 10 minutes.

Tip: Steer clear of FrontPage extensions - my experience is that 50% of all helpdesk queries are due to FrontPage issues.

Greg S
28-09-2002, 07:49 AM
Re which programmes for them to use... maybe just let them do it in MS Word. It creates lousy code, but it's still acceptable, and can always be debugged. For the uploading, a simple FTP programme such as WS_FTP LE should be fine, with a simple drag & drop interface.

falvrez
29-09-2002, 07:14 PM
Thanks Greg and others for the replies

Have spoken (well, emailed) our webhost and he says they are looking at changing the system to allow this very thing right now - cool timing.

Cheers