PDA

View Full Version : Very strange problem

fritz
26-09-2002, 09:35 AM
A friend of mine got the following problem: (OS 2000ME) After 2 - 4 hours of use the monitor screen turns black and the following message appears for about 20 seconds: 'CHECK SIGNAL CABLE'. After that the computer shuts down. She then has to wait for at least one hour before it can be turned on again. Any ideas please? Thanks

honeylaser
26-09-2002, 09:47 AM
I assume you have checked the signal cable? Make sure that the pins are a) all there b) not bent and c) that the cable is securely connected to the port

Try replacing the signal cable...

tweak\'e
26-09-2002, 09:47 AM
sounds like it could be an overheating problem. check cpu temps and case temps. check all the fans are working. otherwise i would suspect a faulty powersupply.

chrisnz
26-09-2002, 11:13 AM
I concur with tweake it is a temperature prob. If the box has a video card try changing that as there may be a heat sensitve fault on the card. If they are using onboard video the problem could be a bit more serious. But check the obvious first ie. CPU fan any other fans....
I've spent hours on a cash register trying to get the power supply to work then I realised I didn't have it plugged in. Du-oh. That is why I say start with the obvious and the basic thing first. :D

fritz
27-09-2002, 07:56 PM
Thanks 'honelaser', 'tweak'e and 'chrisnz' for your comments, - have passes them on to my friend. Not sure if the promblem has been solved yet, - watch this space. Bye
Fritz